Do you love to bake? Ok, do you like to bake? Scratch that. Do you like to eat? Then this simple recipe is for you. This creation will please a crowd and is SO easy. Quick, easy, and delicious. My advice, you better make at least batches to get you through to the big day.
Unable to find a shortbread recipe that pleased the picky palates of my girls and myself, and unable to re-create the perfect fluffy shortbread perfection of my mother-in-law, we decided to try and create our very own shortbread recipe. We got busy in the kitchen and mashed together a few of our favourite recipes until we came up with this mouthwatering winner. I proudly present to you the easiest foolproof shortbread cookies of all time. You’re welcome.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Squares
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of Baking Powder
- About 5 handfuls of chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour with the salt and the dash of baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer cream the butter (about 2 minutes)
- Add the sugar and beat until creamy.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gently stir in the flour mixture until just incorporated. (we used our hands it was much more fun and effective)
- Flatten the dough into a greased 9×9 glass pan. – yes, just flatten!
- Cover the entire top with chocolate chips and press in with a spoon. Oh yah baby, in my humble opinion you can not have enough chocolate chips!
- Set oven to 300 degrees with the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Bake for between 20 and 25 minutes until the dough is a very light brown.
- Let them sit for a few minutes.
- Cut into squares while still warm.
Enjoy! I promise, these cookies are worth getting out the stretchy pants!
I am off to finish my last minute shopping, wrapping, and lots more making!
Wishing you and yours a Joyful Holiday Season and a very Merry Christmas.