*Please note the following giveaway is open to Canada only.
I have a startling confession to make.
Never Have I Ever Owned A Food Processor.
I know, it’s odd. I’ve been married for 21 years, I have 2 teen girls, and never have I ever owned a food processor. Shocking right? I mean Martha Stewart, Rachel Ray, all the fabulous women of cooking and baking swear by these little wonders and yet I’ve been an adult for a looonnng time and somehow I’ve survived – navigated some of the trickiest of recipes without one. Until now. You see now I GET it! The lovely people of Breville sent me a gorgeous, yes I will use the word gorgeous, Breville Sous Chef 12 Plus, and I put it to the test. Here’s what I found out, and what you need to know.
Food Processors are not just for the gourmet cook. They make your life easier, helping you to create fabulous recipes from “scratch” and leaving you feeling like Rachel Ray’s got nothing on you.
Food Processors aren’t just for “processing”. Yah, I didn’t know what that meant either. They go beyond giving a little help in the baking department, assiting with stiring of cookie dough and the creation of pastry and pasta. They are kind of wonderous.
Here are 5 surprising things you can do with your food processor.
- Chop Your Vegetables: Yes, you read that right. Chop up veggies for salads, soups or stir-frys to add to muffins or loafs. Endless amounts of brightly cut cabbage and thinly sliced carrots can be ready in moments, and rough chop that onion without tears. Equally important, you can easily slice those potatoes into perfectly thin slices. Hello, homemade potato chips!
- Create Your Own Ice-Cream: Make healthy, delicious ice-cream in just minutes by blending together your choice of frozen fruits with a touch of milk or Greek Yogurt. You may want to add a drizzle of honey to sweeten.
- Make Breadcrumbs: Never waste stale bread again. Take those stale pieces of bread or leftover hotdog buns, pop them into the food processor and pulse them into perfectly delish breadcrumbs.
- Create Your Own Nut Butters: All you have to do is puree the nuts you already have in your pantry! I don’t use a lot of nut butter, but when I do, I usually only need a few tablespoons. In the past I have purchased an entire jar, used what I needed and the rest has gone to waste. With a food processor, I can now make my own almond butter by taking a few dry roasted, unsalted almonds, pulsing then for a few minutes, then blending until it reaches desired consistency. It’s that easy and tastes so much better than store-bought.
- Ground Flour: Want to make cookies but you’re out of flour? No problem. The food processor can substitute some oat flour for flour. Simply grind up the oats into a finer texture in the processor and poof, flour.
Of course now knowing all of this, I just had to share my new favourite recipe. Easily created with the help of my super pretty Sous Chef 12 Plus Food Processor. Here’s our new go-to and how to make foolproof homemade hummus.
- 1 540 ml (19-ounce) can chickpeas (about 2 cups drained, cooked chickpeas)
- 3 tablespoons quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1/2 fresh lemon)
- 1 small clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon of each)
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Drain and thoroughly rinse chickpeas: Drain the chickpeas into a strainer and rinse under cool running water.
2. Combine all ingredients in the food processor.
3. Blend until smooth: Process the hummus continuously until it becomes very smooth. This should take 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings: Taste and add more of any of the ingredients to taste. We like a little less garlic, a little more lemon! If your hummus is too thick add a little extra lemon juice or olive oil to thin it.
5. Serve: Serve with whole wheat crackers, pita chips, pretzels or raw veggies.
What you will love about the Sous Chef 12 Plus:
- Breville’s Sous ChefTM 12 is equipped with a 3-in-1 feed chute and simplifies food preparation. It combines both speed and an adjustable slicer (that offers 24 sizing options from paper-thin to thick). Amazing.
- The pulse setting.
- It delivers speed and performance, thanks to its powerful 1,000-watt induction motor.
- The unit’s large capacity bowl can accommodate 12 cups of dry ingredients of 8 1⁄2 cups of liquid ingredients.
- Its three distinct chute sizes provide optimal control and consistency. The large 5” chute tackles bulky ingredients, such as potatoes, with ease. There’s no pre-cutting required.
- The slicer adjusts to widths ranging from of 0.3 mm to 8.0 mm, while the reversible shredder creates both coarse and fine textures, for customized results.
- Accessories include a stainless-steel, micro-serrated S-BladeTM, adjustable slicing disc, reversible shredding disk, spatula, and dough blade.
- The safety feature: With the integrated safety interlock system, the motor will quit once the bowl is removed or not securely attached. For no-fuss preparation, the non-skid rubber feet keep the unit in place while processing.
- Blade storage case included.
- Large capacity: 12 cup dry ingredients 81⁄2 cup liquid ingredients
- 3-in-1 feed chute: Large feed chute: 5” (13cm) Mid feed chute: 23⁄4” (7cm) Mini feed chute: 11⁄2” (4cm)
- Dough Blade Micro-serrated S-bladeTM
- Adjustable slicing disc: 0.3 mm — 8.0 mm
- Fine and coarse reversible shredder
- Stainless steel axle/spindle and stainless reinforced hub
- Mini processing bowl and mini S-bladeTM Storage box
- Safety interlock system
- Momentary pulse button for maximum control
- Push-in cord storage
*Find the Breville Sous Chef 12 Plus at Sears, The Hudson’s Bay, Canadian Tire, and other fine retailers.
Here is some more exciting news. It’s giveaway time! One lucky reader of How To Survive Life In The Suburbs has a chance to WIN a Breville Sous Chef 12 Plus of their very own!! ARV $470.00!! To enter, simply tell me, if you won, what is the very first thing you would whip up with your beautiful new prize? Then use the Rafflecopter form below to earn those extra entries.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This giveaway is open to Canadians only, excluding Quebec, and to all those who have reached the age of majority in their Province. Closes November 14th, 2017 Prize fulfillment is the responsibility of Breville. This giveaway is not associated with Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, or Twitter.
*Please note that due to technical difficulties the entries from the first rafflecopter will be combined with the entries from the second. One winner will be chosen from each form and then a final winner will be chosen, at random to win the prize.