Did you know there is a place in the world built entirely around the love of LEGO? It’s true! LEGO lovers rejoice and let us introduce you to the mystical place that is LEGOLAND Florida.
LEGOLAND Florida opened in October 2011 and is located in Winterhaven Florida at 1 Legoland Way. (not far from Kissimmee and Orlando) Aimed at families with children ages 2-12, but will appeal to all the LEGO lovers, the park consists of live shows, restaurants, LEGO attractions, displays, shops to peruse and more than 50 unique rides ranging from the mild to the wild. LEGOLAND Florida is also home to a Botanical Garden and a Waterpark.
It’s a sprawling park with the fairly recent addition of a LEGO themed water park If you want to see it all in one day, best arrive early as the park hours are relatively short and there’s much to explore.
Our adventure at LEGOLAND Florida went much like this; We arrived on a gorgeous sunny day…….that didn’t last long!
A storm blew in out of nowhere, as often does in the Orlando area, and this storm included wild lightning forcing the park to shut down most of its rides in order to keep the patrons safe. When this happens, there is no rain check policy. However, we weren’t going to let a little liquid sunshine spoil our perfect day. We had a plan.
Here are our best tips for tackling LEGOLAND Florida during a rainstorm!
The ponchos are cheap and cheerful and allowed us to wander the park in the rain with ridiculous smiles plastered on our faces.
- Head straight for LEGO Ninjago Land. If the weather isn’t too bad you can climb “Coles Rock Climb”, pose for some pictures with the larger than life LEGO characters, and play “Jay’s Lightning Drill”. However, the big draw is LEGO Ninjago The Ride. A ride that allows you and your little ones to “Blast animated fireballs, lightning and more at a sinister gallery of villains before teaming up to defeat a powerful foe. Track your score against friends, family, and other guests, then ride again!” So much fun you may want to ride it twice.
- Take advantage of all things in the Imagination Zone.
The Imagination Zone is completely inside, air-conditioned, and provides unlimited play for your LEGO fanatic. Build towers, create your own virtual LEGO Fish, even test your skills in friendly competitions.
- Check your park schedules for the 4D Movie times and go see a show! The Wells Fargo Fun Town 4D Theater cinema seats 700 in cool comfort.
- Take in the Friends to the Rescue’ Live Stage Show: A live show where kids are encouraged to dance and sing with LEGO Friends at a concert.
- Head to Fun Town. Take a “Factory Tour” and catch a firsthand look at how LEGO bricks are made.
- Traveling with a Toddler? Then take a turn at Tot Spot. An air conditioned play area with an airplane theme!
- Take this opportunity to grab a meal. There are a plethora of indoor restaurants ranging from all you can eat pasta bars, to pizza to sandwich shops.
- Do some shopping. Let’s face it, you’re not getting out of LEGOLAND without purchasing some brand new LEGO!
- Wander through Mini Land USA. Teeny tiny replicas of some very famous places like Las Vegas, New York City and the Daytona Speed Way.
- Little ones will adore DUPLO Valley. An air-conditioned play area where children can slide, climb and crawl around a whole host of friendly farm animals.
- Pack a Picnic: You are allowed to bring in a backpack or soft sided cooler. This is a fabulous way to pack some nutritious snacks, some drinks or a lunch and save a few dollars.
- Consider packing water bottles that you can refill at one of the many water fountains.
- Bring some mini-figures: Staff members will swap the mini-figures on their name tags with guests at LEGOLAND. It’s a fun activity for the kids as they walk around the park.
- Keep an eye open for the Apple Fries. Apple fries are baked apple slices with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top, finished with a side of whipped cream. Oh my yum. Granny’s Apples is located at the front of the park, don’t forget to pick them up on the way in or out.
- If the weather looks good, consider upgrading to the WaterPark Pass so you can enjoy both parks.
- Pack the GoPro so you can grab some incredible shots of your family building their own one of a kind raft in the water park!
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. It’s hot in July!
- Buy your tickets ahead of time online and save a few dollars.
What you need to know:
- Parking is $17.00 ($15.00 if you purchase in advance)
- Child/Senior Tickets are $73.99+ Tax
- Adult (13+) Tickets are $79.99+ Tax
Rain or shine LEGOLAND Florida provides a fantastic way for a family to create those special memories that will last a lifetime.