So have you? Pushed yourself outside of your comfort zone and done something that scared you, just a little.
On a recent trip to San Francisco, I was presented with an opportunity, a chance to take a tour that I both wanted to do, and didn’t want to do. I was provided the unique opportunity to segway through the incredible streets of San Francisco. And so I did.
On a chilly, yet crystal clear day my Hubby and I headed down to the Fisherman’s Wharf area to meet up with the fabulous and friendly people of San Francisco Electric Tour Company- Segway Tours. For the next 3ish hours we would be in the extremely capable and charming hands of the guides of the San Francisco’s Electric Tour Company as we embarked on the Fisherman’s Wharf, Waterfront, and Little Italy Segway Tour. To say I was a little bit nervous would be more than accurate. I’ve often thought about trying one of those futuristic machines but had never worked up the courage to do it. This whirlwind trip to San Francisco, the desire to try a Segway, and see all the gorgeous city had to offer spurred me on and bolstered my confidence (along with my Husband) We were going for it!
Without much preamble, we were lead through some safety steps and an easy to follow (even for me) training session. Our fearless and charismatic leaders worked with us until we were “one with our Segways”, comfortable, sort -of, and ready to head out onto the streets. Yes, the streets! Oh my word. Our small but enthusiastic group of “segwayers”, is that a word? It is now, were on our way. First, at an easy pace along the waterfront. Touring along as the Tour Guide, the incredible Devon, simultaneously regaled us with stories of the San Fran area and managed to keep a watchful eye on his flock
Before long, I must admit, I started to feel a wee bit cocky. Tourists and locals alike waved at our fun group as we sailed by, effortlessly flying by blocks and blocks of this breathtaking city by the bay. I also realized we were seeing more of the real San Franciso via Segway than we ever could have covered on foot.
Have a peek at our incredible experience:
We toured the Fisherman’s Wharf and its picturesque fishing harbors, had a sneak peek at the hidden alleys of historic Little Italy in North Beach. We were given some fabulous tips on where to eat and what not to miss when we came back later! We were then treated to some jaw-dropping views of Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge and the amazing waterfront on this fully narrated tour. The time truly flew by.
What Suprised Me:
- How easy the Segway was to learn.
- Riding a Segway is truly a unique and memorable way to explore the city.
- It wasn’t the big sites that I loved the most. It was the hidden alleys, the little nooks and crooks, and the quiet parts of the city I surely would have missed if not for this tour.
What you need to know:
- You need to take this tour. I am not the most athletic person in the world. Yes, I can ride a bike, sure I used to water ski, but this is much easier than either of those and so much more fun.
- Segwaying is addictive. Now that I’ve tried Segwaying, I can’t wait to do it again!
- Pick the right tour. Don’t just rent a Segway on the beach, go to a reputable company like the Electric Tour Company and allow them to teach you the correct way, the safe way to handle this motor vehicle. Because it is a small motor vehicle.
- Wear a helmet. I didn’t fall off, but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t have!
- Electric Tour Company is located in a little alley just near the waterfront. Once you book on-line you are sent detailed directions on how to find them.
- All riders must be 12 years or older, and those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- All riders are equipped with a radio receiver and earbuds so you can clearly hear your fun and fabulous guide.
- If you are in the San Francisco area you must book a tour with San Francisco Electric Tour Company
In conclusion. Eat the cake, buy the shoes, ride the Segway! This is one of those tours you should take. Trust your guides, they will make sure you are safe, ready to go, and provide you with a tour of the city you will never forget.