Have You Ever Done Something That Scared You?

So have you?  Pushed yourself outside of your comfort zone and done something that scared you, just a little.

On a recent trip to San Francisco, I was presented with an opportunity, a chance to take a tour that I both wanted to do, and didn’t want to do.  I was provided the unique opportunity to segway through the incredible streets of San Francisco.  And so I did.

On a chilly, yet crystal clear day my Hubby and I headed down to the Fisherman’s Wharf area to meet up with the fabulous and friendly people of San Francisco Electric Tour Company- Segway Tours.  For the next 3ish hours we would be in the extremely capable and charming hands of the guides of the San Francisco’s Electric Tour Company as we embarked on the Fisherman’s Wharf, Waterfront, and Little Italy Segway Tour.  To say I was a little bit nervous would be more than accurate.  I’ve often thought about trying one of those futuristic machines but had never worked up the courage to do it.  This whirlwind trip to San Francisco, the desire to try a Segway, and see all the gorgeous city had to offer spurred me on and bolstered my confidence (along with my Husband)  We were going for it!

Without much preamble, we were lead through some safety steps and an easy to follow (even for me) training session.  Our fearless and charismatic leaders worked with us until we were “one with our Segways”, comfortable, sort -of, and ready to head out onto the streets.  Yes, the streets! Oh my word.  Our small but enthusiastic group of “segwayers”, is that a word? It is now, were on our way.  First, at an easy pace along the waterfront.  Touring along as the Tour Guide, the incredible Devon, simultaneously regaled us with stories of the San Fran area and managed to keep a watchful eye on his flock

Before long, I must admit, I started to feel a wee bit cocky.  Tourists and locals alike waved at our fun group as we sailed by, effortlessly flying by blocks and blocks of this breathtaking city by the bay.   I also realized we were seeing more of the real San Franciso via Segway than we ever could have covered on foot.

Have a peek at our incredible experience:

We toured the Fisherman’s Wharf and its picturesque fishing harbors, had a sneak peek at the hidden alleys of historic Little Italy in North Beach.  We were given some fabulous tips on where to eat and what not to miss when we came back later!  We were then treated to some jaw-dropping views of Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge and the amazing waterfront on this fully narrated tour.  The time truly flew by.

What Suprised Me:

• How easy the Segway was to learn.
  • Riding a Segway is truly a unique and memorable way to explore the city.
  • It wasn’t the big sites that I loved the most.  It was the hidden alleys, the little nooks and crooks, and the quiet parts of the city I surely would have missed if not for this tour.

What you need to know:

• You need to take this tour.  I am not the most athletic person in the world.  Yes, I can ride a bike, sure I used to water ski, but this is much easier than either of those and so much more fun.
  • Segwaying is addictive.  Now that I’ve tried Segwaying, I can’t wait to do it again!
  • Pick the right tour.  Don’t just rent a Segway on the beach, go to a reputable company like the Electric Tour Company and allow them to teach you the correct way, the safe way to handle this motor vehicle.  Because it is a small motor vehicle.
  • Wear a helmet.  I didn’t fall off, but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t have!

Details:

• Electric Tour Company is located in a little alley just near the waterfront.  Once you book on-line you are sent detailed directions on how to find them.
  • All riders must be 12 years or older, and those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
  • All riders are equipped with a radio receiver and earbuds so you can clearly hear your fun and fabulous guide.
  • If you are in the San Francisco area you must book a tour with San Francisco Electric Tour Company

In conclusion.  Eat the cake, buy the shoes, ride the Segway!  This is one of those tours you should take.  Trust your guides, they will make sure you are safe, ready to go, and provide you with a tour of the city you will never forget.

Disclosure: I was provided with tours in order to facilitate this review.  As always, all opinions reflected on this blog remain my own.

Comments

1. kathy downey says:

Thanks for taking us on the tour,loved the video!

2. I’ve never tried a Segway – looks like a fun experience!

3. Melinda Jana says:

I tried ziplining, it was AMAZING!! Segway looks interesting but not something I would try

4. Cynthia says:

We looked at trying these when we were in a small town in Europe but I was so afraid. Now I wish I’d done it. It sounds like a great experience.

5. Krista M says:

What an interesting, truly unique way to tour the city! I would totally do a Segway tour, it looks really fun.

6. Deborah Cochran says:

I’ve always wanted to try riding a segway but am way too uncoordinated to try! It would be fun and provide a good laugh for my kids to watch lol. I think we all should get out of our comfort zones once in awhile to try something new!

7. kristen visser says:

so happy that you put your fears aside and experienced this!! what a great experience that know you will always remember. I love to face my fears. I get a thrill out of it. such as heights which is why i ride roller coasters and bungee jump BUT theres no way youll get me on top of a high building lol

8. Debbie WhiteBeattie says:

This looks like it was a lot of fun and what a great way to see San Francisco

9. Carole D says:

Looks like a lot of fun! I started having vertigo a few years back but I didn’t let it stop me. I repelled in a cenate in mexico I zip line. It was amazing!

I loved the video, that would have been so much fun and such a great way to tour the city!!

11. Julie F says:

This does look like fun, will have to try the segway tour in the Distillery District in Toronto

12. Florence Cochrane says:

You video showed that this would be fun. I would try that. Anything with heights scares me.

13. Laurie P says:

oh how I’d love to ride a segway!!!! Well done on trying something new!

14. That looks like it would be a lot of fun (and great for tackling those SanFran hills)

15. We both have never even seen a Segway in real life. Perhaps one day we could take a trip like this one.

16. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I’ve always thought that these would be very difficult however it sounds like it’s fun once an expert has shown you how to ride one. Doubt I’ll ever get around to trying one out though. 🙂

17. Kim Tanti says:

Nice tour. Thank You. I would like to try to ride one of those but would probably end up in a cast.

18. This contest for shoppers is awesom

19. Shirleyp says:

This sounds like a fun way to tour a beautiful place

20. Laurie P says:

I was invited to go ziplining at the falls….weeks away and I’m already nail biting.

21. lori n. says:

I’ve never tried to ride a segway either, but i have gone to other countries where I don’t speak the language and i have survived!It’s fun to challenge yourself.

22. Alison Braidwood says:

That looks like fun. I’d definitely try it; once I felt I had some control and wasn’t going to actually die, lol.

23. Heidi P says:

What a fantastic trip and the use of a segway even better to explore part of the city

24. Stephanie LaPlante says:

Those look like a lot of fun! My brother’s buddy has one. I’ve seen a few people go flying LOL…including my uncle.

Sounds like such a fun way to sightsee! I do have to admit that trying out a Segway is on my want to do list.

26. Janet M says:

I am scared of roller coasters and i tried one once and survived.

27. This sounds like so much fun!

28. Looks like a blast!

29. Laurie P says:

I think a Segway is a much more fun way, and maybe even more convenient (than a car) way to sight see!

30. Kristi F says:

I wouldn’t have thought that it would be easy to learn to ride one so I’m glad to know that it is. And yes, the off the beaten path places are the best part of exploring!

31. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I remember as a child, probably around 10 yrs old, going up a helter skelter and being too scared to go down it. Climbed back down all the stairs and handed in my mat!

32. Shirleyp says:

This looks like a fun way to see the sites

33. That would be an awesome fun experience to travel around and see the sites in a city.I would love to try this! 🙂

34. What a fantastic experience touring with a Segway!