The Secret To Dating Your Husband

Are you married?  In a relationship?  Do you have little kids?  Maybe your kiddos are 8-10 years old and driving you nuts.  Perhaps your kids are teenagers.  Do you think your life is busier than everyone else’s?  That no one is more stressed, tired, broke than you?  I’ve got news for you.  You are not alone.

Exhausted women unite.

I’ve been with my Hubby since I was almost 20 years old.  We’ve done the blissful newly dating thing.  The two incomes no kids thing.  The stay-at-home-Mom gig.  I’ve been through the exhausted 2 kids and 2 dog phase. (that was stupid) The I’m crying in the shower and making lunches at 11:30 at night hoping I have something to wear to work phase.  And the am I just a freaking chauffeur phase.  What I’m trying to say is, raising a family is hard work.  Dating your Hubby through all of this….is tricky.

How do you make time for man you love most?  Here’s the secret you need to know for dating your Husband.  You just do it.  Every day, every week, every month.  You may not always do it well, you may not be consistent, actually sometimes you may suck at it.  But when it comes to marriage, to the man you love the most, you find the fun, the joy, the love and you make the time to date your Husband.

Why?  Well, in the blink of an eye 20 years will pass you by and those little bundles of joy who used to wake you up 5 times a night will be packing their bags and heading off to University or College.  Planning lives of their own without you.  The house once filled with chaos and noise, extra friends and extra demands will suddenly be quiet.  Way too quiet.  When that time comes you want to be excited about the next stage of life; time alone with your Husband, time to tackle the next big dream.  You don’t want to be looking across the dinner table at a stranger.

Here are my best tips to make sure you carve out time with your Hubby right now:

*Get over the idea that a “date” has to be so traditional and embrace all the little ways you can show extra love towards each other throughout the day, week and year.  Then get on with it already.

*Make a pact to get together and dream big at least once a year.  Every New Years Eve we set our goals for where we’d really like to vacation or travel together for the upcoming year.  All those dreams may not come true, but there’s power in the dreaming.

*Always kiss hello and goodbye.

*Never go to bed angry.  It may be trite, but it’s true.  Life is too short to waste precious hours wrapped up in anger.

*Truly can’t escape the house for a real date?  Wine and dine him.  Put the kids to bed, set up the dining room with your best dishes, candles and fancy stuff and enjoy a dinner for two.

*Play hooky.  So much fun!  Sneak away for a coffee or movie in the middle of the day.  You will feel all kinds of scandalous having a date in the middle of the day while your kiddos slave away at school.

*Go out of your way for each other.  Surprising him by picking up his favourite cupcake or cinnamon buns to share on the back porch or bring him home a fancy coffee.

*Turn off those phones.  The kids, work, life keeps us busy enough.  When you sit down to have dinner, turn off those phones and really enjoy your time together.

*Plan a vacation with your Husband….and no one else! No kids, no friends, no work.  Just the two of you.  Even if it’s just for a couple of days.

*Take dancing, cooking or a photography classes together.  Do something new, badly, together.

*Flirt.  Just because you can.

*Dance in the kitchen, the grocery store, around the block together and embarrass the heck out of your kids.

*Feed the kids early, then banish them from your space.  Have your own special dinner together later on.

*Rent a movie, pop popcorn and shut out the world.

What it all boils down to is this, I know you’re tired.  I know life is hard.  He’s tired too.  We all are.  Just don’t forget to make yourself, your relationship, your love a priority.  Not only are you guaranteed to have a little fun this way, but your future self will thank you for it.  I promise.

Mwah.

Comments

All great tips and yes it is so important to take some time together, we try to make time at least once a week.

2. kathy downey says:

I love this post it’s so important and sometimes being busy people don’t take the time.Every other Saturday night we have a date night we take turns deciding the activities ,it’s fun and creative.

3. All good tips! From experience, it gets even BETTER when the kids move out. Of course we adore our girls, but now, we can really focus on each other. Let the fun begin!

It’s so easy to get into a funk and be doing your own thing, so you need to have date nights and just go and be with hubby and rekindle the love, plus it’s fun to get dressed up and wear makeup and just to go out and have fun!!

5. What a great list! I agree with many of your tips – especially the kissing hello and goodbye – quite important but easily forgotten in hectic lives. Thanks for another great post!

6. kathy downey says:

You have made a wonderful list we should at least think about,i love my hubby and we do everything together

7. It is too true that the time just slips past. We though need to create time away from one another (LOL) as we seem to do everything together.

8. Shirley P says:

9. We always keep putting it off. So at a silent auction last year I bid on a bunch of restaurant gift cards. Now we have to go out! It’s working 😉

10. Kristi F says:

I love all of your ideas for dating, especially kiss goodbye and hello. Such a simple thing to do that I think can really make a difference.

11. Kim Tanti says:

It is amazing how many people take marriage lightly. It is alot of HARD work. You have to be determined to work at it. The kiss in Hello and good bye are are very important. You never know if you will see each other again. We will be married for 38yrs. this Sept. and I still love the old fart.

12. Great reminders. Little things matter, like fun surprises and regular together-time.

13. Janet M says:

Great ideas. Everything takes work as do relationships.

14. Melinda Jana says:

great tips! make every moment count for sure even when life gets in the way

15. Kristy R says:

Hubby and I are celebrating our 8th anniversary today. Finding time to “date” is so hard with our busy lives, but so valuable. We’ve called in re-inforcements so that we can have some “us” time. Tomorrow, we are heading out on our first “kid-free” vacation. As part of our personal #Canada150 celebrations, we’re headed to Whitehorse in the the Yukon. Just because. Can’t wait!

16. Stephanie LaPlante says:

My parents have been married 31 years and their love seems to grow.

17. Carole D says:

That is so true, my kids are grown now but we always made time for date night.

18. kathy downey says:

I love the photos,hubby and i can be a it sissy sometimes and it’s good for us!

19. Deborah Cochran says:

I used to consider myself a “city” gal until I got married and had 5 kids and lived in the suburbs. Now I wouldn’t have it any other way – we love our neighbors, the community and feeling safe.

20. Laurie P says:

Feed the kids early, then banish them from your space….YES YES YES. 22 yrs later, two kids 19 & 4, this is a must lol

21. kristen visser says:

you guys are the cutest!! I love our date nights. we try to have them once a month. Our favorite is going to the movies and then dinner

22. Fahima mohmand says:

I’m single but live with my brothers family. He got young kids which sometimes drives me nuts as I have to play good aunt rule and they know I love them too much to refuse. So to destress myself I take Saturday and go out by myself for a hike and some meditation

23. Over the years, we have learned how important it is to romance each other. It’s so easy to take each other for granted but something as simple as holding hands as we walk across a parking lot can help us reconnect. The grand gestures are awesome but I believe it’s the little things that keep a marriage together and happy.

24. Angela Jones says:

All great ideas and tips, i think all couples and both sides need
    To put in some extra effort sometimes. Also easier said than done.

25. nicolthepickle says:

Congrats on so many years. It IS hard work.

26. Sherry K says:

Some great reminders. We go out every Wednesday to a little pub down the road – never miss, no matter what.

27. Florence Cochrane says:

Great tips. We take some day trips now that the summer is here and stop in for a nice meal along the way. We love to do a movie night out.

28. We go on dates all the time. We love it when its just spontaneous and just go with the flow. The beach, a bar, a long walk on the trails, wherever we want to go we just do it.

29. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I really enjoyed reading this, lots of good tips to try and improve a relationship and the time spent together. It is the little things that matter the most, like the kiss, little surprise presents. 🙂

30. I love the little surprises that you mention. A treat slipped into the lunch, a favourite beer sitting in the fridge…

31. Shirley p says:

32. Melinda says:

I love to have dates on Saturday morning with my hubby.

33. lori n. says:

I agree, staying happily married is hard work! Giving each other the freedom to have friendships apart is also a great way to reconnect afterwards.

34. Alison Braidwood says:

Great tips. And suggestions that can be put into use every day.

35. Heidi P says:

Always take the time to show your spouse, partner some extra special time or just a hug or two during the day/evening or just a few sweet simple words.

36. Janet M says:

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions.

37. Lushka Smith says:

Great and fun tips

38. Great tips!

39. nicolthepickle says:

We used to be really good at dating, but it’s getting less now. I need to make more effort.

40. amazing tips!

41. Sarah alexis says:

It’s awesome to keep that spark alive!!!!

42. kathy downey says:

Dating can keep a marriage fresh and alive !

43. Krista M says:

So often couples just take for granted the relationship, not putting effort into the little things every day that can keep that spark going. These are such important tips to put into action to show the other you truly care.

44. My husband and I do little things like this for each other.Sometimes it’s a coffee or a butter tart or a scratch ticket.It doesn’t have to be an expensive night out all the time to keep things exciting.Sometimes it’s fun to help each other with little jobs around the house too.

45. mohammad anjum says:

Thank you for the awesome and inspiring post

46. Laurie P says:

not going to bed angry is something I have to work on….I can admit

47. Joyce S says:

Never go to bed angry- that is the best one I think!