Are you ready for it? The first official long weekend of the summer is just around the corner and I can’t wait! For many Canadians this means it’s time to organize the kids, pack up the house, throw everybody in the car and make a trip to cottage country. Sigh, is there a better place in the world? Crystal clear lakes, long docks, walks in the woods and bonfires. Sleeping in late, big breakfasts, old fashioned board games and eating way too much. Dreaming of getaways up north is how I get through that frigid Canadian winter.
How do you have the “perfect” long weekend at the cottage? With weekend getaways, a little preparation can make a huge difference. Here’s how this family preps when we’re lucky enough to be heading out for a glorious long weekend with family or friends.
Step 1: Pack for comfort and for fun. Remember cottage life is all about relaxation and family time. No need to pack the fancy clothes and “fashion before function” shoes. Think leggings and sweatshirts for nights around the campfire, extra socks for coolish nights, shorts, maxi-dresses, swim-suits and lots of beach towels for those brave enough to take that first dip in the chilly lake. After your clothes are all squared away, throw in a new puzzle for the family to tackle and a fave board game or two. One of the best things about cottage life is the ability to truly re-connect with your loved one’s with some old fashioned fun.
Step 2: Do some meal planning. You don’t want to spend the entire weekend running back and forth into town to the local grocery store because you forgot to grab ketchup or potatoes.
Step 3: Be prepared! Remember cottage life is sometimes messy. Don’t forget those little things that can turn into big things if left behind. Hand soap (for the bathrooms and the kitchen), dish soap/dishwasher detergent, and all the essentials for the laundry. I detest coming home from the perfect cottage getaway only to have to run 6 loads of laundry for my crew, so tend to stay on top of it while I’m away. The easy way to do this? Know what kind of laundry you will be doing and prepare accordingly. I pack Tide PODS Plus Febreze Laundry Detergent. They are super-convenient as it’s a 4-in-1 laundry product. With each Tide POD you have the power to clean, brighten fabrics, fight stains and freshen an entire load with just one POD. Nothing is easier!
Sometimes your favourite cottage clothing items can be tricky to care for. Those leggings, sweaters, swimsuits and towels can take on some tough-to eliminate odours. You may have noticed your favourite leggings are often designed with synthetic fibres making them odour magnets, sweaters can instantly take on a “campfire smell” when roasting marshmallows, and swimsuits and towels can develop a musty odour if not properly laundered. So here are some helpful tips to make laundry a breeze:
- Most leggings, especially those designed for athletic wear; contain synthetic fibers, which are dirt and odour magnets. This can make your leggings more prone to getting stinky. To get rid of odours after wearing them, wash them in Tide PODS Plus Febreze Odor Defense, along with Tide Odor Rescue with Febreze Odor Defense laundry booster to remove body soils and odours from deep inside the fibres. After wearing, simply throw your Tide POD into the wash, add your clothing and let the magic begin.
- Have you ever done a load of laundry only to end up with clothing that still has a faint odour? It’s so frustrating! To eliminate odours like “campfire smell” from sweaters, be sure to use a high quality laundry detergent like Tide PODS plus Febreze Odor Defense. Use along with Tide Odor Rescue with Febreze Odor Defense laundry booster to help eliminate odours at the fibre level. Getting it done right the first time saves you time and money.
- After a fun day at the beach or on the lake, most people throw their towels in a pile. Teach your little one’s to hang their towels up in between uses and allow towels to air dry until you are ready to wash them. This will help to avoid that dreaded “musty” smell. When you do wash them, wash in warm water with Tide PODS with Febreze Odor Defense.
- Want that just washed smell to last and last? Downy Fresh Protect helps give an extra boost of fresh scent out of the wash and storage. The motion-activated fresheners neutralize bad odours and give a fresh scent as you move through your day.
- Downy Fresh Protect removes any odours from clothes and provides an amazing fresh scent that will last 24 hours or up to 12 weeks in storage.
Extra hints: When you are packing for a cottage, it can feel like you are taking the entire house with you! Don`t feel like you have to use suitcases. (They take up too much room anyway.) I prefer to pack with a mix of small suitcases, totes and laundry baskets. Stash all the food in coolers with a ton of ice packs. Roll the sheets and towels and put them in laundry baskets, and use flat totes and square totes for pantry items and lake stuff. You would surprised how much more you can squeeze into your car!
Now all you have to do is fill the gas tank, grab the kids and you’re ready to go!
I want to make getting ready for the first “official” long weekend of summer even easier. How? With a giveaway of course!
Enter now for your chance to WIN all the fabulous TIDE products pictured in this post; Tide PODS, Tide Odor Rescue capsules and Downy fresh protect.
Here’s how to enter: Comment below and answer this question; “What is your favourite or best packing tip?” Then use the Rafflecopter form provided to earn those extra entries.
This giveaway is open to Canadians only, excluding Quebec, and to all those who have reached the age of majority in their Province. Limit of one entry form per household. Closes June 5, 2017
Wishing you all a glorious long weekend! Happy Travels!