The Travellers First Aid Kit

Over the past year I’ve taken a lot of trips.  Road trips, out of Province trips, quick glorious weekends down south and even a couple or dreamy vacations to Europe.  For each trip I dream big, over plan, and usually over pack.  I may regret hauling around that extra pair of bulky shoes and sweater that took up valuable suitcase space, but one thing I will never regret packing is my amped up First Aid kit.  It’s my one constant for each and every trip and I’m often asked what’s included.

Here are my recommendations for what to include in a Travel First Aid Kit:

Over the past 10 years or so I’ve packed almost the same kit for every trip, adjusting it’s size depending on the length of the trip.  After a little reflection I thought it might be interesting to review the items I’ve actaully had to use from that kit.  The past few trips have seen a need for:

• Band-Aids
  • Blister Band-Aids (maybe the best invention ever)
  • Benadryl
  • Ear Drops
  • Immodium
  • Tums/Rolaids
  • Cough and Cold medicine
  • Bug Spray
  • After Bite
  • Travel Insurance! Thanks to a jelly fish sting in Jamaica.

On my last trip, with 8 teenagers in tow, I only needed Advil, Band-Aids and Benadryl.  Victory.

Thankfully we’ve never needed to use too many items from that First Aid kit on any one trip, but as you can see, almost all items have been called upon at one time or another.  Don’t let blisters, a common cold, headache or bug bite stop your vacation in it’s tracks.  Remember Murphy’s Law, just be prepared, pack that First Aid kit and go have the vacation of a lifetime.

Happy Travels!

Comments

1. I’ve found that when you don’t pack that first aid kit is absolutely the time you need it.
    Great list!

2. I’m PARANOID about getting sick when I travel. This is a great list.

3. Sandy Trojansek says:

Great list, and I completely agree. It’s imperative to travel with your emergency kit. I always grab something out of it for myself, or people I meet at resorts!

4. Great list! A good pain/sleep aid is always good to have too…nothing worse than not sleeping on vacation!

5. Kristi F says:

It’s really reassuring to be prepared. Helps you to relax more I think. I’ve never used blister band-aids, I’ll have to try!

6. Brenda A says:

What a concise list! I need to keep this one as I always seem to overlook some necessity.

7. Shirley p says:

Thank you for the first aid list I will make one and keep it in my car you never know when you need these items to be handy.

8. Samantha Taylor says:

Travel insurance is a must!

9. kathy downey says:

Thanks this is a great list you haven’t missed a thing

10. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I’ve never taken that much with me on any trip. I’ve not heard of Blister Band-Aids before, they sound like a good idea especially if you have new shoes. Also don’t forget any prescription medication that you take. I never used to take out travel health insurance but since turning 60 a few years ago I do and a good job it is too as whilst in Australia I fell down concrete stairs and was taken by ambulance to the hospital where an MRI and Xrays were taken. Cuts needing stitches on my legs, infection so antibiotics, not helping so more antibiotics, about 6 visits to local GP. Another visit to the hospital. The health insurance paid it all and it was cheap compared to the States.

11. This is useful, comprehensive list! I’ll keep it handy for my future trips 🙂

12. heidi c. says:

I have a small first aid kit packed and ready for when we travel. I am going to put your list with it to make sure that all have all the items suggested.

13. Thanks for this awesome list! My brother went away this past weekend and he’s so mad at himself for not bringing sunscreen. My brother is a whiney walking tomato.

14. Cheryl H says:

That’s a great list, lots of amazing and simple ideas

15. Elizabeth Vlug says:

We always have a first aid kit in the car… although I do need to remember to update and throw away expired items. You just never know. And I was a Girl Guide…Be prepared. lol.

16. Melinda Jana says:

sounds like an A+ first aid kit. we should put something together like that for our hiking kit

17. That’s quite a list for a first aid kit and all of it needed as well. Thanks for the list we will use it.

18. Good list to use for a first aid kit

19. Super helpful! Especially when you think about how little space that can all fit into vs trying to find a bandage at 11 o’clock at night.

20. Added this to my bookmarks.Thanks!

21. Eight teenagers? That is amazing. I’m impressed. I always forget the benedryl. Mental note to include that on next fam trip.

22. Lushka Smith says:

Great list, I’m going to bookmark it for my next trip

23. Tania B says:

I have not thought of all of these items. Thanks for a great travel list!

24. I seem to always end up doing something to injure myself so this would be a great list of items to always have. It’s easier to enjoy the trip when you’re fully prepared.

25. Debbie WhiteBeattie says:

You always do the best most thorough lists and I must say that I’ve used them several times. This emergency list has got almost everything on it