I know it’s September. My head knows we should be preparing for apple cider, pumpkins, crisp fall air and warm chunky sweaters. The problem? My heart is rebelling. Here is South-western Ontario we missed summer. Insert stomping of feet. We didn’t get the hazy hot days, the “It’s so hot I could cook an egg on the sidewalk” comments, or even the sneaky late night dip in the pools. Why? Because Mother Nature is drunk. Our summer was hot one day, cold the next and the rain just never seemed to end. Now that summer is coming to it’s sad and anticlimactic end, a heat warning? Mother Nature is drunk! So how does one deal with the end of a season we never really had the chance to embrace? By trying to remember all the stupid reasons us Mama’s in the suburbs love the Fall!
Ridiculous reasons to celebrate the beginning of Autumn:
1) The Pumpkin Spice Latté. Say what you will about the ridiculous amount of calories in this little Starbucks beauty, every single one of them is worth it for that jolt of pumpkin spice goodness.
3) Thanksgiving. The one holiday that doesn’t require present buying or lying to your kids about some mythical bunny or fat guy in tights. Just an excuse to get together with family, say thanks for all you are blessed with, and stuff your face.
4) School. Even though I am one of those Mama’s who would prefer to have her kids at home a little more often, there is something to be said for routine, and sneaking in a few bon bons on the couch!
5) New TV season! Oh yes, I said it. Amazing Race, or Big Bang Theory anyone? I can’t be the only one with a wee bit of a crush on Sheldon.
6) As soon as this stupid cold weather hits, it means it’s time to start planning the next great vacation! Dreaming is always a good idea!
7) Fall is the best season to embrace your inner pyromaniac. It once again makes sense to have a roaring fire in that fireplace. Romantic yes?
8) Halloween. It’s not just about the adorable kids knocking on your door demanding candy. It’s about the left over candy you get to consume! Helpful hint: Over purchase! (How cute are my babies! 7 years ago?)
9) Daylight savings time! Fall back means we get an extra hour of sleep! Woot!
10) Boots, socks and Uggs! All warm, all cozy, all the time.
Summer may be the jewel in the crown of seasons, but if you look for the ridiculous, I guess Fall could be a close second. Happy sweater shopping!