There is a wee problem in this house. I buy the sweet treats, the cookies, the very best ice cream sandwiches, and the damn things are gone before I can get my greedy little hands on any of it! Now as a woman over 40 I know I can just plop my big butt back in the car and go and buy whatever I happen to be craving at the moment; that isn’t the problem. My issue, these cravings for chips and dip, Mars Bars or a good old fashioned ice cream sundae seem to occur at about 10pm when I am well in to PJ mode and definitely not fit for the world to see. Tired of being denied junk food when I need it the most, I created a sneaky plan of action! This my friends is how to get your fair share of junk food in the suburbs:
1) Always have a chocolate stash. A chocolate bar tucked in the back of a drawer here, a bag of cookies way at the top of the cupboard there. It’s not that you won’t share, you just want to be there when the little people in your house open the bag. (At least that’s what you can tell yourself)
2) If you find you have eaten your way through your chocolate stash, don’t panic. Rule two is to Be Resourceful! Remember that chocolate chips or even good old fashioned chocolate sauce right out of the jar will work in a pinch. Think outside the cookie bag!
3) Buy treats your family doesn’t particularly enjoy. In my house this means dill pickle chip dip, Thrills Gum, and black licorice. They won’t touch this stuff! Yummm gum that tastes like soap!
4) When you are having a movie night volunteer to make the popcorn. The one in charge gets to divvy it up! You are assured a full bowl of that salty goodness this way!
5) Just Buy More. Clearly, I am a chocaholic and have created an entire family of chocolate lovers. Time to accept it and plan accordingly.
So what have we learned?
You don’t have to give up your sweet sweet love affair with junk food, you just have to learn how to
trick your loved ones be a little smarter, hoard better! So get out there and enjoy your sweets, and be sure to save a cookie for me!