What To Wear At The Cottage!

Almost Cottage Time! A week at the lake is good for the soul, and I may have been doing the “I’m going on a cottage vacation countdown” for the last three months!  So what to pack, what to wear? Easy! Here’s my list of top 10 things you need to have an easy, breezy and successful week dockside!

1.  Shades.  Why?  Cause selfies always look better with shades.

Cottage2013Sunglasses

2.. What’s in the make-up bag! Almost nothing!  You’re at the cottage!  I throw in my Olay 7 EYE brightening CC cream, (that I can’t live without), my Estee Lauder Idealist illuminator, some Covergirl Mascara, an eyeliner, maybe a shadow or two a fabulous bronzer and I am cottage ready!  Opps! Don`t forget the sunscreen!

CoverGirlProductsIlove

3.   The all powerful maxi dress.  Perfect on the deck, on the dock, or in town.  Long live the maxi.  You know what?  Pack two!

4. Super comfy flip flops that can keep you in comfort dock side and still be useful on those long rambling walks through the trails.  Comfy flip flops are a must.

5. A Bikini or tankini!  Those long summer days were meant to be spent in the water and you want to be water sport ready!

6.  Don`t forget the swim suit cover up and maybe a hat!  (wrinkles are not sexy)

7.  Yoga pants and a sweater.  Perfect for early morning coffees and late night marshmallow roasting.  (it gets chilly at night!)

8. Water shoes. Yup, I said it.  They may not be fashion forward, but when you are faced with feet vs. sticky icky part of lake and still want to be the cool Mom who goes on the portage and rock that canoe trip, a pair of $4.98 water shoes from Wal-Mart can save the day. (and your cool Mom status)

Watershoes

9. Walking shorts and some tanks and T-shirts.  Layers are life savers!

10.  Last but not least throw in a pair of jeans, just in case. One can always find a reason to sport a good pair of jeans.

PS.  Bonus points for knowing to leave the flat iron at home and pack the elastics.  The cottage life demands you embrace the pony and the bun, just enjoy the sun and the extra time you have just saved but not fussing with your mane for an entire week.  So go and pack that bag, leave the real world behind and make some memories, cottage style!

Comments

1. Always with shades LOVE IT

My mom swears by Estee Lauder, she keeps telling me I need to invest in it.

2. I am the worst last minute packer ever!! I know it’s because I overthink everything that’s going in that bag. Maybe it’s time to just relax and stick to a list. Thanks!

3. jeans
    tshirt
    swimsuit
    book

shoes optional

ha.

have fun at the cottage.
    after a really cool week, it turned smoking hot here today

4. Oh how I wish I was a good packer! I always either have too much or not the right thing! First world problems..

5. At the cottage now and so wish I had brought a Maxi Dress with me and maybe some of the Olay eye brightening cream? Sounds pretty cool!

6. I think you have it all covered Stephanie. With the water shoes, I like the more expensive kind with the straps–they can be a life saver.

I hope you have fun at the lake.

7. Amy Heffernan says:

Sounds like you got it all!! Never forget your hairbrush also..Done that one when we went on vacation to a cottage. 🙁

Sounds like the perfect list to me…hope you have a great time at the cottage!

9. I wear no makeup whatsoever when we go camping…I try and blend in with nature. =)

10. Thanks, I never thought about the water shoes!

I pack very little makeup, but some nonetheless… you’re such an organized packer!

swimming shoes are a must for me even just at beaches I dont want to touch anything slimy in the water with my bare feet.

13. Cheryl Grandy says:

Good list. Glad to see the sunscreen and hat for sum protection. I’d bring a couple books too.

Great list, water shoes are a must I can’t stand slimy!!

15. Excellent list! I have to pick up a pair of water shoes, walking through all that slime was a huge yuck and totally ruined that romantic beach walk 😉

16. BobbiJo Pentney says:

Don’t forget a sweater, with this summer you never know.

Great packing list! It’s helpful for camping too which we are going to do in a couple weeks!

18. Good list, I never take the make up, its the cottage
    But you forgot lots of good books

19. Treen Goodwin says:

awesome … i am a crappy packer i always forget something , your list is perfect , i must remember this for our camping trips 🙂 thanks for sharing 🙂

20. What a great list!! I am new to the cottage thing and this is a great start! thanks – I will kept this for next year!

21. I always pack way too much when visiting family at a cottage!

22. Minimal packing IS best. Very true, keep the curling iron or flat iron home & pack the elastics, it’s all about being comfortable & FREE… (though I admit I do pack a small tube of waterproof mascara, but as for make-up, that’s the limit for me!)

23. The cottage, a beautiful retreat and a time to relax. Long pants are needed for when the mosquitos come out

24. I miss cottaging weather!

25. I’ve never been to a cottage, if and when I do, this list is so doable! You don’t need much, especially makeup! Cheers

26. You have a great list, and I got a chuckle about the flat iron!!!

27. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I enjoyed reading this, and sure I’d leave the flat iron at home, duh who wants to do ironing whilst at the cottage. You also need to pack the fishing rods, now that is a relaxing day fishing, with perhaps even supper in hand too. 🙂

28. What a great packing list. I always take too much or not enough.

29. Janet M says:

Thanks for the list. I do like to wear loose clothing and have a few warm sweatshirts.

30. Alison Braidwood says:

Water shoes were a revelation to me :0 No more squealing and worrying about what I’m stepping on.

Trackbacks

1. […] at the cottage!  Think easy, breezy and comfy,  You can`t go wrong!  See my post here for what I’m packing for a week at the […]