Fearful To Fierce! A True Adventure In Paradise

While on a trip to Puerto Vallarta I did some things out of my comfort zone.

Way, WAY out of my comfort zone.

The day had started out rather like a fairy tale, we swam with dolphins and spoiled ourselves with some authentic Mexican cuisine.  Then our group of travel writers was presented with a challenge.  What did we think about jumping into an oversized open air jeep, taking a trek up into the mountains and trying our hand at zip lining, repelling, water rafting and riding a mule?  WHAT???  Well I can’t speak for the others in the group, but this Mama felt scared right down to the tip of her toes!  I am not an adventurer.  I didn’t jump off mountains or ride on donkeys?  Were these people nuts? For goodness sake I was wearing brand new shorts from Banana Republic and a pair of Toms.  Does this sound like “Adventure Girl” clothing to you?

With shaking hands and a fluttering heart I followed my group out to the over sized open air jeep that would take us to our destination; Canopy River.   Our adventure began immediately as we quickly left the city and began our drive into the mountains.  We had the unique and special experience of being tourists on these roads not often travelled.  We passed by small village towns, and humble homes, the cobble stone streets forcing us to slow down, wave at the locals, and allow a glimpse into real life in this part of the world.

P1010635

P1010639P1010648P1010649

We arrived at the top of the mountain, met our guides, put on our protective gear, received our instructions and prepared to set off on the adventure of a lifetime.

I stood in line at the beginning of our hike, and held my breath until it was my turn on the zip line.  I steeled myself and then…. I threw my body off of the mountain.

(I screamed a lot.)

IMG_3361

I repelled down the side of a cliff.  (and only screamed a little)

IMG_3481

I let go of that zip line and launched myself into a river.  It was a feeling of joy I simply can not explain!  I was free!

IMG_3512

My SassyHubby released himself into the river with much more style than I did.

IMG_3499IMG_3500IMG_3502

It was FFREAKIN AWESOME!!!

We swung like Tarzan and a very frightened Jane.

IMG_3552

I rode through some rapids on a tube, and took a moment to catch my breath. Astounded by the beauty that surrounded me, and feeling very blessed to be there.

IMG_3576IMG_3586

I then rode a mule back up the mountain to our home base of Canopy River.

Me! I rode a mule!  (the wee donkey was very patient with me)

IMG_3613

I did the entire adventure in my Toms and frankly, I felt like a rock star.  Our fierce group of travel writers cheered each other on, supported one another, laughed and screamed until we were hoarse.  SassyHubby and I made memories, and I had some new bragging rights.  I was now an Adventurer! I could brag to my children that I conquered a mountain, did seven wild zip lines, threw myself into a river, tackled water rapids and rode a mule all by myself.  Truthfully, I knew my girls would be all kinds of proud and just a little bit jealous.  For almost three hours I didn’t think about bills, the kids, post deadlines, or what was for dinner.  I had truly left the real world behind and it was magical.

Thank you Canopy River for an experience I will never, ever forget!

Disclosure: I attended this tour as a guest of @PVVisist #pvpress trip, as always all opinions and thoughts are my own.  Please note that many photos were taken by our Canopy River Photographer, cameras were not allowed on this adventure.

Comments

wow!! What a great trip!!

2. I’m sure screamed a lot would not even cover what I would do … lol

Great trip my dear 🙂

LOL Eventually you run out of breath, have to stop screaming and look around and enjoy the scenery! 🙂

Love the pictures!!! going into the river from the zipline looked awesome, and you look pretty good riding a mule, the pictures at the beginning of the village and the road look like something out of a movie set!

You know what? As we were driving up the mountain I said to my Hubby, I feel like I’m in a movie. I’ve done a lot of travelling but never had an experience like this!

4. AHHH! You are so brave! (and now I kind of want to try this too!)

Definitely a trip you will remember!! The pictures of the houses from the village really make you think of how lucky we are to have the houses we do. Don’t think I would of been brave enough to try the zip lining.

I will never forget this trip. I also know I must go back and take my girls, they need to see with their own eyes how truly blessed we are to live where we do.

6. MrDisco says:

now that looks like serious fun.

7. MrDisco says:

those are some great photos

8. Steph!
    You are one fun person, love reading about all your adventures. I am looking foward to seeing you sometime soon 🙂
    Sherrie-Mae
    PRMomOttawa.com

9. Oh my gosh….how fun for you both!!! Such cute pictures of you…who looks that good while scared? ONLY YOU!!! A mule? A MULE?? How cool!!!

LOL You are too kind!
      As it turns out I giggle to cover my fear!
      PS That mule was the scariest part! I was sure he was going to drop my ass as he hauled me up the mountain! HAHA

10. What an adventure! The zip line must have been the excitement and fright thing all rolled up into one moment. Your pics from the trip sure are making us want to go and create our own memories there.

I was so thankful my Hubby was there to support me and tell me I could do it! Then have to admit I was proud of myself for doing it! I hope to go back and do it again with my girls, make some more memories!

11. Darrah Bailey says:

WOW! Looks like fun! Hope you had a blast

12. Vickie Cheung says:

Wow, you are so adventurous, not sure I’m up for that much action

Honestly, this was way out of my comfort zone and I am now so glad I did this! I felt brave and proud and could brag to my kids that I conquered a mountain 🙂 LOL

13. Birdiebee says:

What an adventure. I don’t know if I would be so brave to tackle the zip line. I am deathly afraid of heights. Everyone I know who has been afraid to do a zip line then conquered it, loved it. Your vacay was a journey to be remembered.

Your friends are right! Once you get past the first zipline, the rest is cake!
      I will never forget this adventure.

You are a lady that knows how to have a good time! What fun that must have been! Good for you!

15. Jay Miller says:

You are brave! I don’t quite get the picture of you above the tube…is that safe? Those rocks scream danger to me (but I’m a wimp when it comes to heights).

The pic of me above the tube could use more explanation!
      I was jumping from the edge of the river into the tube. The guide was there to catch me if I missed. He was one big strong dude and wasn’t going to let me miss!

Wow girl!! I must say, you have a smile that lights up the world around you! Great pictures!

Good Grief Girl! You leave the sweetest of comments!
      Thank you for always leaving a little bit of sunshine on my blog, you have no idea how much that means to me!

• Darlene Schuller says:

HONESTY………….its the only way to live.. don’t hold back when it comes to saying nice things.. everyone needs to & loves to hear them.

Heck just this week we had a store owner helping us locate something. They couldn’t, was later found it..and called them to thank them for their time, it meant so much that they put so much time and effort into assisting us.

LIttle things like that make all the difference in the world. I changed a lot after Mayson died.

17. That looks amazing. I didn’t expect the water at the bottom of the sip line.

The water was only at the bottom of one zipline and it was INCREDIBLE! The guide screamed at us to let go, and I did! Swoosh! Right into the fresh water! It was refreshing and exhilarating. Gosh, now I want to go back!

18. shaunie says:

Looks like you had a lot of fun. Wish I could be fierceless and try this… just too afraid of heights

19. It looks like such an amazing experience!

20. MrDisco says:

now that’s quite a trip

21. RANDI COOK says:

What a great adventure!

22. Looks and reads like a great time Stephanie, you sure had a strong grip on the float tube lol. The ultimate experience for an adrenaline junkie. 🙂

Happy to hear that you had the time of your life!

24. Oh wow! I am so proud of you for going outside your comfort zone and trying something new! The photos are amazing 🙂 What a wonderful looking experience for you and your hubs 🙂

Thank you! To be honest, I was a wee bit proud of myself! One day when I’m old (er) and grey and I can look back and say I did this!

25. Looks like an incredible adventure!

26. Melinda says:

Ziplining and rapids?! I’m so there! Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone 🙂

I vote you go for it! You will not regret it!
      (and thanks, I’m trying to step out of my comfort zone more often now!)

27. nicolthepickle says:

Ahh, I’m screaming with you. I’m scared of heights, but I still would like to try ziplining sometime.

28. Suzie M says:

Wow what a trip you had WTG

29. Good for you. it is so great to try something you never expected you would.

30. Just love this ! thanks so much for sharing !

31. Great exciting pictures!

Those activities look like so much fun!! I love ziplining and white water rafting and I’m so jealous of your pictures!! You’re definitely fierce!

Thank you so much Victoria! If you love ziplining and white water rafting, you would have loved this trip! Add Puerto Vallarta to your travel list!

33. Bailey Dexter says:

Great pic! Looks like a exciting trip.

34. Carol M (Lushka S) says:

Wow, that looks like a blast!

35. You have accomplished something I have always wanted to do, a mountain trek adventure. You go girl!

36. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I am happy to hear that you did enjoy all of this, despite being scared. I simply would have refused, I’d probably have blacked out on the zip line, drowned in the river and been kicked by the mule. 🙂