Starbucks and Sparklers: The New Victoria Day Weekend!

Sparkle

This past weekend was Victoria Day Weekend, or commonly known as “May 2-4” up here in Canada.  At least, that’s what we used to call it!  “Back in the day” Victoria Day Weekend was to be celebrated.  Hard.  yah know cause I’m such a partier It was to be toasted with that 2-4 of beer.  This weekend meant camping, rain or shine.  Heading to the beach ‘cause summer was here!  It was planning fabulous cocktails and kicking off the summer season in style.  New swim suits, the biggest parties, no sleep.  Sleep was for old people.  It.  Was.. The.  Best.

SparklersThis past weekend?  Well it was all kinds of different.  I did not party hard.  I did not head to the beach.  There was no camping, (but I hate camping!)  There were not any new swimsuits because buying a new swimsuit is like some kind of torture and the BIG confession; I did not consume one beer.  Not one.  Hangs Canadian head in shame.  Then a realization.

I did things my own way this long weekend.  I slept in, drank Starbucks, and shopped on-line for purses..they always fit.  I booked a cottage for our summer vacay.  I ate ice cream with my girls and had a small BBQ, just for our family of four and their girls friends. A steak and lobster kind of BBQ with a great glass of wine!  Perfection.

As I watched my girls jumping on the trampoline, and dash through the dark with sparklers, did I feel like there was something missing from my first long weekend of the summer?  Not a chance.  This Victoria Day Weekend, I’m counting my blessings one spark at a time.

Comments

1. I didn’t do anything either!! Your weekend sounds like fun!!

I just had this conversation with my partner about how May 2-4 has become just another long weekend or opportunity to catch up much needed rest and relaxation, or on responsibilities that have been pushed aside. Oh well!

3. Why Stephanie, are you growing up? Tired, perhaps? lol
    Just kidding, of course.
    Your celebration is one that I’d love to experience more often.

4. That sounds like a pretty amazing May long 🙂 Sometimes simple is perfection!

Sounds like you still had a great weekend. We were camping but it was in luxury in our 38ft park model trailer 🙂

6. Nothing wrong with family fun. And, you’ll have lots of time to make up for it at the summer cottage!

7. Good for you. Doesn’t it make sense that how you celebrate would change over time?

8. kristen visser says:

awe i love this post!! sometimes its just so great to sit down and relax, enjoy your family and weekend. For the long weekend we went to our in laws and just hung out there for the weekend. Went for walks, did a little shopping, it was great 🙂

9. the rain and house work brought us to a hault

10. Sounds just perfect to me…..beer? blah? Bathing suites?? triple blah? Your girls are more fun anyway. 🙂
    XO

What a fab weekend… for us at our ages. lol.. I remember and occasionally miss those party hard days… mostly, I’m glad to be past them.

12. Karen E. HIll says:

May 2-4 weekend has gone the way of the dino. It used to be THE first camping weekend, beach weather and something to look forward to. Now its too cold to camp or go to beach and even too cold to put your plants in the garden. Artic weather is creeping into SW Ontario every year.

Used to be a big weekend to go away, now I find I prefer to stay at home and host a BBQ