…and then I turned into my Parents?

Spring is here!  Spring is finally here!  Finally in South Western Ontario the sun came out, the snow has almost melted and winter finally took it’s last dying breath.

AlexaTrampoline

I did what ever self respecting Mama in the Suburbs does; threw open my windows and started yelling at my kids to help me “clean up this dump of a house!”.  With spring fever hitting in full force my weekend was crammed full of all kinds of fun:

*there was the excitement of being able to sweep off the back deck

*the thrill of cleaning the winter grime off the sliding glass doors

* the seasonal lecture to remind my kids that just because we were up to +7 degrees Celsius this does not mean they could wear shorts and a T-shirt

*some vigorous head shaking at the University kids doing their very dangerous J-walking to get to those patios in nothing but their ripped jeans and bar shirts (in aforementioned +7 degree Celsius weather)  Weren’t they cold?

*the joy of going for a long aimless drive….just because we could

*the laughing and pointing at the crazy Canadians who had their “top down” on those convertibles this weekend.  While secretly mourning the selling or our sweet convertible.  Oh pretty, completely not practical car, how I miss you!

Car

*the passive aggressive fist shaking at the bicyclist who choose to ride his bike on the road instead of the bike path located right beside him

*the sheer joy of being in PJ’s and ready for bed on 10PM on a Saturday night

Yes this weekend was crammed with all kinds of fun and a little bit of reflection that scared the hell out of me.  Why?  Simply because upon a little reflection of this weekends highlights  I quickly realized, I have turned into my parents…and I am a okay with that.

Comments

1. Oh the joys of spring! I dont think we even hit +7C and I had my windows wide open as well…

It was rather lovely to not have to take 10 minutes putting on 17 layers of clothing to go out.. :)) Hopefully it is here to stay!

it’s funny growing up we always say we are not going to be like our parents, and than boom one day it hits you and your like “oh my god I’m just like my parents”..lol and yes the weekend was just gorgeous and I to was shaking my head at the ones barely wearing anything, that breeze is still chilly

LOL That is it exactly! And if I was to be very honest, I’d have to admit I turned into My Mother years ago 🙂

I am loving that the Spring weather has finally decided to show up! Saw lots of shorts & t-shirts out but I am not that crazy….I will wait a little bit longer before digging them out.

I never thought spring would get her. I had myself convinced we had entered into some sort of ice age event and we were screwed.

It’s not quite as warm as I like it to be (no no I’m not complaining…at a..). This weekend is suppose to be pretty stunning as far as temps go, I will be tackling the spring cleaning ordeal this weekend. I had plans on it last weekend but, my granddaughter was born and I was caught up in her.

I just had to send you a quick note to say Congratulations!! Warm or cold, it really doesn’t matter!! The sun is shining where you are. A Granddaughter has to make your weekend just perfect! 🙂

• Darlene Schuller says:

Thank you so much <3. It's been pretty crazy the past few weeks with her… she's a sleeper, not an eater lol. Seems to be on the right track now. We just hope this next year goes by fast, my daughter lost her first child, a boy to SIDS at 10 months, though this is an awesome, beautiful time, every day is filled with what if…. as much as I'm really trying to soak it all in and enjoy her, and this time with my daughter.. I miss him, I think about him..and I wish with all my heart we could've held on just a little longer..

Oh Darlene….Sending you the biggest hugs and a few prayers too. Strength and love to both of you and I do hope you enjoy every moment, That first Birthday Party is going to be exceptionally sweet….

5. Sounds like a great weekend and it’s nice to have a clean house! I get pretty mad at the bikers I see on the road. If there isn’t a bike trail they shouldn’t be there!!!

6. I love, love, love Spring and if I have parental moments, that’s cool with me.

7. Debbie S. says:

So loving spring, it’s been such a long winter. We sat outside yesterday and oops, couldn’t believe it but my nose got a little too much sun! Yes, time to sunscreen up. The sun felt so warm and the fresh outdoor air to easy to breathe!

This has been the longest winter I ever remember!! (and in my neck of the woods they are calling for stupid snow tomorrow!) No sunscreen here 🙁

8. I am so happy to finally see some grass. Now to clean up the dog mess all the snow hid.

9. I’m asking “aren’t they cold?!” too when I see the high school girls with their uniforms skirts hiked up w bare legs and knee socks. Also…they need to roll down those skirts…hrumph! *said in her mother’s voice*

10. It sounds like your parents are awesome, so this is a good thing! Enjoy YOUR spring.
    XO

11. Oh yes love those top off (car, not me .. lol) moments. Yes not practical with the kids had to move to SUV’s and wagons .. lol

Haha Glad you clarified the “top off car not you moments!”. This Mama is embracing her sunroof with her SUV, and proud of it 🙂

12. kristen visser says:

LOVE IT!!! i seriously never thought the winter would leave us! birds are chirping, and i get to get outside with my daughter to play instead of being cooped up in the house 🙂

13. Elaine Laforge says:

Yes we finally have Spring here in NS too 🙂 Sounds like you had a great weekend.

14. Oh I share your parent realization as it happened to me long ago.

I did laugh at your cracks at locals up there pretending it is like mid-summer in their clothing selections. It happens here as well as soon as the sun shines in the spring.

Today our locals went crazy!! We hit double digits and I saw not just booty shorts but flip flops too! These Canadian’s need summer now!

15. Im in SO as well and welcome the gorgeous weather on Sunday ! Tmrw should be an even better day ! YES finally

Haha I’m so seeing this change in myself as well!

17. Heidi C. says:

I always find it funny when I say or do something that sounds exactly like my parents. It seems to be happening more and more as my kids get older!

18. Melinda says:

Ah the wonders of being open the windows and have the windows down.

I already see bits of my parents in myself… I always get a good laugh out of that 🙂