How To Survive A Water Park–Typhoon Lagoon

This March Break instead of heading somewhere warm and sunny, I am staying up here in the cold!  Insert whining and crying!  I have no fabulous palm tree pictures to share, no blinding beach pictures, and no need for sunscreen, what I do have is some sold advice.  How to survive a water park!

TyphoonLagoonBoat

It was the night before my great expedition to the dreaded water park. We were headed to Typhoon Lagoon at Disney World.  A place I was sure would be filled with all kinds of perfect little hard bodies and designer suits. A destination where everyone was sure to judge what you looked like in your barley there swim wear. I dutifully packed all of our essentials. Sunscreen, hats, sweatshirts and cash. Now what the hell does a Mama of 2 wear to a water park? Something that I can look good in, where I’m still the “cool Aunt” and the almost Hot Mom. at least in my head  Something that would not encourage pointing and laughing. Something that would not draw attention. Most of all something that would stay put!! In summary I needed a magic suit!!

A tankini seemed like a good choice, but  I just spent a fortune on my two new tankini’s and know from personal experience water parks will reek havoc on your little expensive suits. So my decision? The old trusty bikini and cutesy tank top to keep the girls under wraps should I hit any slides at warp speed. So I committed to my decision. Not looking back. Gulp.  No cameras, please.

Morning arrived and we head out to our Disney destination. The kids were thrilled and I was nervous as hell.  Please God let there be heat on in at least a couple of those giant public pools! Please don’t let me make a fool of myself.  Please just help me get through the day and make some memories that do not include me embarrassing myself!

As the day wore on, my shock and awe increased!  People are incredible creatures!  I should not have wasted one moment worrying about what I was going to wear that day. There were 300 pound women strutting their stuff with pride. Men with wicked cases of plumbers butt, laughing oblivious to their near nakedness. Teens giggling in their dental floss style suits, and in my humble opinion, not wearing nearly enough clothing. Every body type big and small, were tackling those slides with abandon and they were lovin it!  The best part, so was I!

Are water parks the great equalizer? The one place on this earth where attitudes and judgements are left at the gate? No make-up, no great hair, body parts swinging and flopping every which way. People so busy having fun and running from one great slide to the next that there is just no time for petty worries. The only thing the water crazed patrons were concerned about were sunburns and the how long the line was for the BUCKETS of ice cream.

TYPhoonIceCream

Lesson learned and a note to future self. All shapes and sizes welcomed with open arms at the water park.  Don’t worry, be happy and go enjoy the ride!  Maybe Disney really is the greatest place on earth.

Comments

Aww I’m sorry the lead up was stressful for you! I can definitely relate. We need to find a way to hold on to our confidence in these moments, and I”m glad you found yours.

It’s sometimes hard as a woman to hang onto that confidence, but as a Mama to two girls, it really is a must! I’m so glad I just went for it, grabbed my suit and enjoyed my day. We made some memories and I much prefer to be the cool Mama who plays in the water then the one hiding in the shade 🙂

2. I definitely think water parks are a place where you can just let your inhibitions go, everyone’s in the same boat haha. I do however like to get my blonde eyelashes tinted before going to any sort of water park/beach because it helps me feel put together.

So smart! I think little things like getting your eyelashes done really can make a big difference. Hey if it gives you the confidence to go out there and take on the world you have to go for it! 🙂

LOL I’ve never been to a water park! My kids used to go to one here in Victoria, but its since been closed down. I’m not sure I could handle it lol

I’m so glad I just went for it, and of course Disney does everything right! I bet if the opportunity came along you could do it 🙂

4. mrdisco says:

Water parks are so much fun

5. Brandee H says:

This is what I think about every time my son sees the pictures for Great Wolf Lodge. But I think you are right. People are to worried about themselves or too bust having fun to be judging you 🙂

You are exactly right! Most people are too busy minding their own business and thinking it back on it now, anyone who has the time or inclination to judge, well who cares about them anyway!

6. Sandra G. says:

We went to Disney last December. The family had so much fun!

7. We don’t have a water park near us, nor do we go on vacation enough to make visitng a water park a priority. Anyway, I really enjoyed this post. Water parks seem like a fun place but finding the appropriate thing to wear can be challenging at times because you want the sun, but you don’t want to be walking around in soaking clothing etc..

This was the first time we had decided to dedicate a day of our trip to a water park. It had never been a priority before and I didn’t really know what to expect. I have to tell you I had a blast! The kids loved every second and we made some incredible memories. (of course it helps that I do adore the sun and the water and Disney does everything 5*)

Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed my post! I know dressing for any occasion can be stressful, at least for me, so figuring out how to “survive” the water park was a feat 🙂

8. Erinn Lishman says:

Minus all the anxiety, I”m jealous you were at Disney! We can’t wait to take our little ones there!

Disney is one of my favourite places to take my girls. I’ve been to Disney World numerous times and adore staying in the Kissimmee/Orlando area.. If I can ever answer any question for you please let me know! Nothing better then chatting travel!

9. SO very true… Same applies for hot holidays.. I could certainly learn some courage (aka self confidence and “who cares?” attitude) from the folks who are out of shape but don’t care as they are there to enjoy the sand and surf 🙂

I haven’t been to a waterpark in YEARS (since West Edmonton Mall) but man do I love them.. I really wish there was one closer to home for me!

There is nothing prettier then a confident woman right! Something for me to work on too. Not just at the water park, but at the pools and beaches too.
      As for West Edmonton Mall, now there is one place I know I could find something to wear! LOL

10. I’m more nervous about the slides and the pools than my appearance. I do not swim well. My boys do not swim well.

The only thing I am confident about when it comes to water parks is my swimming! That one I have covered! House full of fish over here 🙂

We spend many many summer days at White Water in Georgia when we lived there. You’re right, and no ogling seems to go on. It’s like a common ground of respect, that I wish people held on to from day to day.

12. A.Smith says:

I love this!! Confidence is always the most beautiful accessory 🙂

13. Jo-Anne Pfoh says:

nothing more fun than a water park wait unless you lose your top at the bottom lol

LOL I did see a bottom float to the top of the wave pool! It was quickly recovered and was NOT mine! HA!

• Jo-Anne Pfoh says:

lol well it is nice to hear someone had it worse than me lol
        ,, I am having a tough time navigating the page to find your other giveaways is there a special link? secret password ? pls and ty

14. loucheryl says:

That bucket of ice cream looked like something my son would LOVE! And it’s true, all shapes and sizes are welcome at the water park. Just have fun with your girls and don’t worry about the way you look. 🙂

Four of us shared that bucket of ice cream and then we got to keep the bucket. So cute!
      The best part about a Disney water park, you have so much fun you are able to forget you are running around in underwear style clothes! HA

15. MrDisco says:

i could use some buckets of ice cream

16. I need to get better at not worrying about what I look like in a bathing suit and just let myself have fun with my kids. So glad you wrote this!

Thanks Maija! Confidence in a bathing suit is certainly not something I “own”, but I was able to just relax, have fun and let it go for a day. Disney really is kind of magical 🙂

17. I like going to water parks with my grand kids. We have so much fun too. I also worry about what to wear as I am trying to age gracefully, and I just don’t feel comfortable wearing a hot pink bikini anymore.

I adore that you are taking your grandkids to the waterparks! It doesn’t matter what you wear, because all those kids are going to remember is that their super cool Grandparent took them to play!

It has been years since I have been to a water park. Might just have to check this one out next time we go to Disney…time to be brave!

We LOVE Typhoon Lagoon. It is now the water park in the Disney area that I recommend to all of my friends!

19. I too am guilty of worrying about how I will look, will people be judging me??? Now I’m thinking I need to just check it, throw caution to the wind and check out one of those Disney water parks on our next visit to Florida!

I recommend both throwing caution to the wind and Typhoon Lagoon! Such a great way to make some memories!

20. Hibbat Tariq says:

I know exactly how you feel cuz I felt that way when I was planning my trip to Jamaica for my girls bachelorette. All the other girls were very slim and fit and spoke about the bikinis they bought and what they would wear. I stuck with shorts and a tank top since I was embarrassed to show more skin. But when I hit the beach I saw women and men, just like you said, strutting their stuff and then decided to not care anymore.

21. I can totally relate! Great lesson. Glad you had fun.

22. Heidi C. says:

I am petrified of the big slides but my kids love them so Mommy pulls it together. Having a bucket of ice cream waiting for me would help push the courage level up a few notches!

just point me to the lazy river and that bucket of ice cream!

I used to love water parks but I haven’t put a bathing suit on for at least 5 years since I was put on disability, I don’t want no one seeing this big girl, I am very intimated by the way I look, so I avoid anything to do with water

Disney is so much fun! Not a huge fan of water parks anymore though…too crowded! But I’ll gladly take that bucket of ice cream while everyone else enjoys the water park.

26. Amy Lovell says:

what a blast! Looks like so much fun!

27. BobbiJo Pentney says:

Sounds like fun. Still don’t think I will be wearing a bathing suit though.

28. Treen Goodwin says:

Water parks look so fun , don’t have one here in our little town (boring) think i need to move to a different place , i am missing out on all the great stuff lol

29. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I used to enjoy water parks when my kids were younger but not the water slides, never been on one and never will. As a child I went up a helterskelter with my mat, got to the top and had to come back down the stairs I couldn’t do it! So none of that kind of thing for me. I must say though that my kids always had the time of their of their life at water parks.