Overheard At A Cheerleading Competition

Cheerleading competitions.  They will make you smile, make you cry and make you change from a fairly normalish Mama in the suburbs into some kind of crazy freak screaming your head off for about two minutes and thirty seconds.  Cheering is good for the soul!

CheerKali

Once the screaming subsides, if you just take a moment to listen to all that is going on around you, you may just hear something kind of wonderful;

“I just sneezed sparkles right out of my nose!”

“I can not get the glitter out of my eyebrows.”

“Meh, she’s ok, she only got kicked in the face.”

“I. Am. Fine. Mom, the Coach will just tape me up.  I can tumble, and I will be FINE”

That last one was my daughter, and it turns out she wasn’t fine.  Tape did not keep her from jamming her knees so badly that she couldn’t walk.  An old ghost injury from gymnastics,  Returned.  Unwanted.  Unwelcome.  When a member of the cheer team gets hurt, a good cheer coach stays calm, leads, and grabs the ice.  Mama’s; well we pretend to be brave and pass out the hugs, but the real hero’s on the Cheer team are the girls themselves.  My daughter who just kept putting on the brave face, just kept doing her very best to get through.  And her teammates.  Her sweet sweet teammates.  Carrying her bags, holding her hand and when they realized she was far too injured to walk without pain, this was the next thing overheard at a Cheer Comp brought me to my knees.

“Girlfriend, get on, you’re not walking anymore today.”

Cheer2014

Sometimes you can only get by with a little bit of help of your friends….

Comments

1. So sorry to hear about her injury. I pray that all is well and she will be able to continue with her cheer! ((HUGS))

That story is too sweet. I hope the injury isn’t serious and that your daughter feels better soon!

Awww such a sweet story. And ouch!! Good for her to keep going, hopefully her injury isn’t too serious.

4. Awh poor girl, cheerleading was my most fondest memory of high school. =)

Ouch! Speaking from personal experience, knee injuries are awful! I surely hope her knee heels so she can triumphantly make her return to cheer leading! She has awesome friends!

that is so sweet <3 so so sorry your girlie is in pain :(..but amazing how supportive the team is of one another, love it.

I hope your girl gets pain free soon!

7. jessica chan says:

aww hope she gets well ssoon

8. those are pretty funny overheard comments

9. I hope your daughter wasn’t too badly hurt and that she heals quickly. I remember, when I was little, I wanted to take gymnastics but my mom wouldn’t let me because she thought I would break something. Who knows, maybe I would have! 🙂

10. Hope she is okay! But it is true that we all need a little help from our friends at time!

11. Oh no! Hope she heals quickly! Thank goodness for friends.

12. Too sweet & too cute. Thanks for a peak into a girl’s world.

13. None of my schools ever had any cheerleading teams so I never really saw real cheerleading. I did not know the events/competitions can be that interesting/fun (““Meh, she’s ok, she only got kicked in the face.””), and how hard and determined the cheerleaders are! Woohoo, you go girls!!

14. Sorry for the injuries, great that there is always someone to lend a hand, melts your heart.

15. Im so sorry to hear your gal was injured 🙁 Cudos to her though for putting on a brave face and continuing on!

And I just sneezed sparkles? hahah Love it 🙂

16. ouch! Hope it heals quick! Great to see such great support from teammates!

17. courtney b says:

that’s horrible but what pretty cheerleaders !:)

18. I hope she will recover soon! She is very brave girl! Her teammate is amazing!

19. She lives! 🙂
    Good to see a smile on her face.
    Have you recovered your voice?

20. Don’t you love the camaraderie between them all? One for all….and all for one. Love this.
    I hope her poor knees are feeling better.

21. Amber Smith says:

Boy she’s a trooper, look at that smile!!

22. Hope she recovers quickly from her injury. Sounds like she’s quite resilient!

23. I love the team spirit, my daughters in dance and helping each other is the lesson that I hope each child learns.

24. It’s good to have good friends!

Hoping your daughter gets well soon and she has some amazing friends and teammates, cheerleaders are some of the strongest people I’ve seen, they can get hurt very bad through the cheer but keep on going right to the end so not to let their teammates down and they all stick together.

26. they are so much fun to watch, a great team sport too

27. Aw, that is so sweet. Camaraderie is one of the best aspects of being on a team!

28. Oh no! I hope she’s ok now!

29. Heidi C. says:

What a sweet story! Hope she was ok!

30. Erinn Lishman says:

How awful about her knee! Best wishes in her recovery!

31. So sweet and nice to see the power of girlfriends and teammates.