The Elusive Teenage Smile: Found At Beaches Resort

It’s no secret that when children are happy so are Mom and Dad.  Last month I had the privilege of spending some time at Beaches Resort Negril.  I can now say with some authority; if you are looking for the elusive teenage smile, it might be hiding at a Beaches Resort!

BR3BR1

Teen Travel:

When it comes to travel the forgotten population are the tweens and teens.  Many resorts offer programs for toddlers and young ones.  All resorts attempt to offer something spectacular for the adults on vacation, but have you ever tried to find a place that really plans for the tween and teen in your family?  This group of sassy young adults face a hundred little pressures everyday and just like us need time to unwind, unplug and escape.  Beaches Resort Negril blew me away with their thoughtful programming, attention to detail and the love they pour into their each and every day!  Beaches Resorts Negril are making teens a priority.

While vacationing at Beaches Resort Negril tweens and teens can choose to jump in with both feet taking advantage of activities that range from Hobbie Cats, to lawn chess. banana boat rides, to scuba lessons, paddle boarding to mini-golf.  Or they can just choose to hang with Mom and Dad.  I spent three action packed days checking out all that Beaches Resort Negril has to offer and know you could easily spend a week there and never run out of new and exciting things to do.  You set the pace of your own family adventure!

Here is a quick look at just some of the many activities aimed at helping your teen find their smile.

While Mom grabs a coffee, the teens can escape for a quick game of billiards!  Pool beside the pool!  Tucked in beside the pool table area is a Library open to all.  Need a book?  Borrow it.  Have an extra novel you are done with?  Leave it behind and trade it for a new one.  Perfect for my teen reader.  What’s better then an uninterrupted hour on the beach with a brand new book?

IMG_1036

Unique to Beaches is Trench Town, a cool and vibrant hangout created just for teens.  It’s a space the kids can chill out and listen to music, or watch some movies with new found friends, all without their over bearing parents hashing their vibe.

IMG_1048IMG_1050

DJ Scratch Academy!  A place where your teen, tween or really any one with music in their soul can jump in and learn the art of “Scratchin” from a real DJ!  Learn how to blend, scratch and mix on vinyl records. I think this is the first time my youngest has even held a record!  Lots of loud fun!  Packages range from 40 to 60 minutes in length and there is a small extra charge for this activity.

BR5

Scattered throughout the property and within view of the gorgeous Seven Mile Beach, were the warm and inviting pools.  Add the volleyball net and you have teen nirvana.  Both pools are complete with swim up bars with plenty of refreshing non-alcoholic drink options to keep you hydrated!

IMG_1034

Beaches Negril is known for it’s Pirates Island Water Park.   Consisting of 18, 000 square feet of water soaking fun!  These is a large splash pad for a bit of silly fun.

IMG_1223IMG_1226

A lazy river even I enjoyed….

IMG_1233IMG_1234IMG_1235…and of course two huge water slides!

BR6

If that’s too wild for your teen or tween, you can always grab a Mommy/Daughter moment at the gorgeous Red Lane Spa.  Sigh.  Mani/Pei anyone?  (extra fees do apply for these services)

BeachesRedLaneSpa

One place we did not venture was the gym.  Tricked out with all the essentials.

IMG_1249

My favourite experiences on this trip, and perhaps one of my most memorable, was an incredible Catamaran ride down the stunning coast.  We loaded up this beautiful vessel with the #BeachesMoms and our families, and sailed away into the sun.  The reggae music was blasting, the drinks were flowing, and you couldn’t help but smile as our boat cut it’s way through the bluest of waters.  I looked down at the relaxed and happy faces of my daughters, reflecting on the fact that we were gliding through the ocean a world away from home, and realized I was having one of those “pinch me” kind of moments.  Beaches Resorts delivers those moments.

IMG_1253IMG_1254IMG_1265

Just when I thought it couldn’t get any sweeter, we anchored and were invited to do some swimming in caves that used to be lived in by pirates!  Oh yes please!! Overboard we went, swimming through crystal blue water into caves that had been there for thousands of years.  If only those walls could talk!  IMG_1280

Boarding again, the Catamaran took a quick swing by the famed Rick’s Cafe to see the cliff divers.  Maybe on our next trip to Jamaica we will be one of those crazy jumpers!  (or maybe not!)

IMG_1294

We arrived back at our home beach just in time for one more quick game of beach volleyball, and to take in the glorious sunset. BR7Sunset_thumb

Each evening we spent a couple of hours in the XBOX lounge. A great place to escape to at the end of the day and burn off any remaining steam!  It was a huge room with all the latest and greatest XBOX games, including a certain game that had me dancing and laughing until I cried.

BeachesXbox_thumb

No video shall  be posted of this event, but here is one screen grab! Ha!

BeachesDance_thumb[11]

If Mom’s dancing in the XBOX lounge is far too embarrassing for the kiddos, they can always check out their own club!  Club Liquid  My girls didn’t have the opportunity try this one out!  It’s “the first of its kind at an all-inclusive family resort, Liquid at Beaches offers tweens and teens under 21 a cool place to visit when the sun goes down. Sodas and no-liquor cocktails are served. And the best part– no parents allowed until late at night when it becomes an adults-only nightclub.”  I know my girls would love this with a group of old friends or new!

BeachesClubLiquid

Every night there was live Family Entertainment.  We managed to sneak in a Parade of Sesame Street Characters, a Staff Talent Night, and the SilverBirds Steel Drum Band.  Our hands down favourite was the Silver Birds Steel Drum Band.  They had moves like we have never seen before and played music that even impressed the teen!  Have you ever heard top 40 hits played on a steel drum band?  Amazing!

IMG_1167_thumbIMG_1166_thumb

Each and every night we ended our evenings with a trip to the Cafe de Paris.  Le Sigh.  A cappuccino for me. some late night hot chocolate or ice cream for the girls always led to some very sweet dreams.

BeachesParis_thumb[3]BeachesParis3_thumb[6]

Our final morning in paradise allowed for a Character Breakfast on the beach.    Turns out you are never too old for a hug from the Cookie Monster.

IMG_1383IMG_1395

At Beaches Resort the tweens and teens are in charge of their own adventure.  They jumped in with both feet, played hard, and made the most of every moment.  They found quiet time, were loud and crazy, and made memories.  They found a resort they want to go back to.  (and I do too!!)

Most importantly, I found the elusive teenage smile.  Thanks Beaches Resorts.

For more information on Beaches Resorts, visit their website at www.beaches.com

*Disclosure: Thanks to Beaches Resorts for paying for my travel expenses to accommodate this review.  As always, all thoughts, statements and opinions are my own.

Comments

Looks like an amazing resorts with lots to do & explore! Your girls looked like they had a great time!

2. wow…talk about a dream…so much fun…the waterslides, those awesome cliffs…i used to cliff dive in college….the boat, dj academy…so much fun!!!!

• Ack! You used to cliff dive in college? You have to go to Jamaica and stop by Rick’s Café! It is amazing! Then reward yourself for your brave jumping by kicking back at Beaches, of course 🙂

I love the title of this post! Thanks for sharing your experience and your photos, although with the return of the polar vortex, it’s a bit torturous! Just kidding — thanks for giving me something to look forward to i.e. warmer weather!

• You speak the truth! This weather is torture. I do wonder if those of us who have to put up with the cold appreciate the sunshine and getaways more then those who don’t! I’m already dreaming of my next getaway

4. This looks like such an amazing getaway that you ladies had!! I am uber jealous!!

5. How can you say no to lawn chess?!

6. Oh MY! Should I just go ahead and admit that all I want to do right now is jump on a plane? How early do you think you have to book March Break trips? 🙂

7. LOL Yes, confess away. In my opinion it’s never too early to book a March Break vacation. sometimes you can find a better deal by booking way in advance, and It also gives you more time to enjoy the planning and looking forward part of the trip. If you are talking about this March Break, I would say you better be looking now! 🙂

8. It looks like you had a fabulous vacation. With four young children, Beaches resorts sound perfect for a great family getaway!

9. Looks heavenly to me!!

10. I am still in awe of how amazing the resort is 🙂 My own winter holiday cannot come fast enough!

You are right – I have never really heard of resorts gearing activities towards teens/tweens. There are kids clubs and adult activities, but those inbetween are forgotten. It’s great that places are realizing that and expanding their activities 🙂

This has been the longest winter ever!! I was so thankful to be able to escape for a short while to a place that not just had a few activities for teens, but really catered to them. Brilliant!

11. Years ago we took our children on several all-inclusive vacations. We had a great time but sure would have loved the teens and tweens clubs they have at Beaches for our youngsters. What a fantastic improvement over ‘the olden days’. Mmmmm…sounds like a great place for a vacation for the whole family, grandparents included! I’d love to try the water slide!!

I agree! Such an improvement over the “olden days” LOL The best part, yes, they cater to teens and tweens but if your kids are not joiners, that’s okay too! Lots of fun for them to pursue with Mom and Dad or on their own!

12. looks like a blast for any age! swimming in caves? super exciting!

Swimming in caves was something I thought I would never ever do! I felt like I was on the set of a movie! My only regret, my Hubby wasn’t there to join the fun. Guess I will have to go back 🙂

13. Looks like everyone had an incredible time – so glad to see so much for the teens, they are sometimes forgotten! 🙂 Perfect place for them! Would love to take mine there.

Isn’t it amazing to see a place that has remembered this population! My girls loved it!! I really can’t say enough about Beaches Resorts!

14. I am so envious. That looks like an amazing resort and with our cold winter I wish I was there.

I’m starting to think winter will never end and am already planning for the next one!! Think it’s time to book our next getaway!

15. What a beautiful resort

16. That looks like a temendously good time! My husband and I are trying to plan a vacation, and the hardest decision has been whether or not to bring our girls (2 and a half, and 5 years old).

When we were at Beaches we saw a TON of families with wee one’s. Also, Beaches has an amazing childare/daycare service you could take advantage of where the kids have a fabulous time and Mom and Dad can squeeze in some much needed couple time!

Looks like your girls enjoyed themselves very much. It’s nice that there is places out there for the teens, well for all ages, and this place nailed it, the way you described it I know my girls would just love it and wouldn’t want to come back home, your review was awesome and wants me to jump on a plane and go there right now, sounds like heaven!

We were not ready to come home! The sun is finally shining today and yet what am I doing, dreaming about my next vacation. Beaches Resorts are incredible vacations for families!

18. jessica s says:

looks like tons of fun! would love to try a beaches resort with my family! thanks for the review

Thanks for reading! Beaches Resorts are amazing places to take your family for a true luxury vacation!

19. i would love to learn how to DJ!

20. Looks like such a fun place for families!

21. How could you NOT smile while here?! Looks amazing and thanks for sharing.

What a wonderful resort!! Looks like a great place to go with ‘older’ children!

I loved that Beaches Resorts actually catered to my older children. I didn’t feel pressure to entertain them because there was so much to do!

23. the slides look amazing

24. Rachel Cartucci says:

This is where I wish I could be right now!!! I am in Mississippi and it is snowing…..ugh….I don’t like cold.

25. Looks like an amazing vacation…:)

26. kristen visser says:

wow that looks like an amazing family vacation!!!! cant wait till my daughter is old enough to get away with her 🙂

I hope you have the chance to experience a Beaches Resort with your little one, there is nothing like it!

27. looks like an amzaing resort that would be great to take my kids

It is a perfect spot for a family vacation! Let me know if you ever have any questions about Beaches Resorts!

28. Micheal Lefebvre says:

Amazing trip to be won!

29. Wow, sounds like you guys had a great time. While I can’t imagine packing up the kids and going now (kids are still quite young) it does look like something fun to do once they are older 🙂

We saw families in every age and stage of life at Beaches. From Mamas with babes in arms to parents with older teens. This Beaches Resorts caters to everyone!

30. Elizabeth Friesen says:

Sounds like the perfect family vacation! I have a 12 and soon-to-be 15 year old. I know they’d both find lots to keep them occupied!!! 😀

Your kids are the same age as my girls and mine were not ready to leave. Beaches Resorts was the perfect place for us 🙂

31. courtney b says:

gorgeous! of course shes smiling! what teen wouldn’t love those amazing water slides!

LOL My girls did love those water slides, and the pools and the ice cream, and cookies and beach and…. 🙂

32. Jaime Brown says:

Wow that is great two teenage girls smiling at the same time lol. I have two teenage girls and it is usually no smiles or one smiling the other crying.:)
    That Beach Resort is beautiful, and if it makes teenagers to smile I will smile too:) Thank you for sharing your experience and pics of your vacation:)

You said it all! When my girls are happy, I’m happy. I need nothing else and will forever be grateful to Beaches Resorts for this amazing experience and the joy it brought us.

33. Looks like alot of fun 🙂 That’s awesome

34. Steve Bobula says:

Would love to be at any one of those

35. Wow! What a fantastic resort! Seems like a perfect place to take the family to!

36. Looks so fun

37. That looks like an awesome place for a vacation. I just love the look of the pool and water slides. My son would love to see Cookie Monster and Big Bird.

Even though my girls are a little bit older, they too were happy to pose for some pictures with the stars of the show, Big Bird, Cookie Monster and Elmo of course! So much fun!

38. OMG!!! What a great resort, haven’t been to one in such a long time…need to go and relax 😀

39. tammie wertman says:

Hubby and I have stayed in Jamaica 4 times, We love it thier so much!

This was my first trip to Jamaica, but I understand the desire to go back! The people are so warm and welcoming, the weather was fantastic and the food!

40. Jen Conlin says:

Looks like an amazing vacation. Teens looked Happy! That is always a challenge to find the perfect Vacation spot to accommodate and please all family members. 😀

You’re right! It’s hard to find a Resort that accommodates the need of the many, Beaches does this with style!

41. jessica chan says:

looks like so much fun!

42. I haven’t done a warm fun vacation in years – now I’m thinking this would be a great place to start checking into!

I hope you do check into this one, everyone deserves a dreamy vacay! I am sure you would enjoy a Beaches Resort there is something there for everyone in the family!

43. Bailey Dexter says:

OMG, What a great place to visit!

44. What a fantastic review Stephanie! So helpful to know what to expect especially when vacationing with kids.

Thanks so much Jacki! I’m a planner, down to the last detail and like to know what to expect when I go on a vacation, what I learned when on my Beaches Resort adventure, you an expect the best! It was a fabulous experience with a little something for everyone!

45. Colleen Boudreau says:

Wow looks amazing!

46. WOW!! They had everything. What a nice vacation. The kids will not forget being there. Waterslides included. That would put a smile on my sons face too!

You’re right! We’ve been on quite a few trips, and they all start to “blend” together. However this Beaches Trip will forever stand out in our memory, it was that good!

47. RICHARD HICKS says:

Thanks for telling us about this fantastic resort. Will be keeping it in mind for a future trip

48. What am amazing resort!! I would love to be there now!!! Although I think I may lose my husband to the games room!!!

LOL The games room was a LOT of fun! So clean and the newest best technology. PS I want to be there right now too!

49. Brooklyn Dutson says:

wow that looks like so much fun! no wonder the teens would love it! great idea!

50. Amy Heffernan says:

WOW! So much to do here. Looks great and great for family fuN!

There was so much to do that we truly didn’t get through it all! I guess I better go back and check the rest out 🙂

51. Looks like you guys had a wonderful time! Lots of smiles 🙂

52. I absolutely love this post, the description, the pictures, all of it. And of course, it brings back such terrific memories!

Oh thank you Sarah! We had such a wonderful time on this trip. It was a great time to bond with my girls, experience all that Beaches has to offer and create some memories that I hope will last a lifetime!

53. Amy Lovell says:

W@hat a amazing vacation! Love that waterslide, looks like a blast!

54. Janice Cournoyer says:

I have never been to Jamaica, and would love to go. Loved reading all about your adventures.

55. kristen visser says:

omg its absolutely gorgeous there!!! and the things to do there…i would have to be there longer then a week which of course i would not mind 🙂

56. patti townsend says:

going to negril for our honeymoon!!! if it is as great as it looks, we will be back and be taking the kids!

57. oh how you make me dream!

58. Jamie Hall says:

looks like loads of fun even for teens:)

59. Maggie C says:

I’ve been to Negril and loved it! This resort looks awesome … I can’t believe they have an xbox!

60. Jane Reid Gray says:

Lovely I do like the sound of Trench Town !

61. Debbie S. says:

Looks wonderful, and great for teens, that is awesome. That water slide looks like lots of fun.

62. Alayne Langford says:

Beaches Reaort would be our choice to keep those teens happy and occupied! We’ll said 🙂

63. Alayne Langford says:

Do you think I could fit that water slide in our backyard? 😉

64. Melinda says:

I have yet to take a Beaches Resort vacation, I am looking forward to the day that our family can enjoy their resorts!

65. Maggie C says:

lovely pictures! Makes me want to book a trip right now to get away from the city.

66. This resort looks amazing! I’ve never seen anything like it…a pool table and so much more. Looks like it really caters to the whole family including the teens! Adding it to my bucket list!

67. Cheryl Grandy says:

Wow! So many things to do! Enough to easily keep everyone happy for a week.

68. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

What a fabulous resort this is, you can see the girls were thoroughly enjoying themselves and it sounds like you were too. 🙂 Everything looks very well cared for and luxurious. Plenty to and see, definitely a place to go I’d say 🙂

Trackbacks

1. […] this because my SassyHubby has no idea what he is in for.  I was lucky enough to experience Beaches Resort Negril last year on a trip with my dear daughters.  We drank in the beautiful Caribbean air as we cut […]