Leggings Are Not Pants: Related, I Am An Asshole

There are conversations regarding clothing and appearance that I had fully expected to have with my tween and teen girls.  One’s that ring through our home:

“Just because all the other kids are doing it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.”

“If I can see your belly, so can everyone else.  Cover it up.”

“You live in Canada and it’s–19 degrees Celsius out.  Put a hat on!”

“No. You may not wear make-up.  No mini Kardashian’s in this house!”

One conversation I could never have foreseen.

“Leggings are not pants.”

Leggings

Yes, this seemingly harmless statement has sent my sweet girls over the edge.  The fact that I not only feel leggings are not pants, but insist both girls cover up their butts with super long sweaters has officially awarded me worst Mom ever  status. Yeah me!

I have managed to enforce no make-up until an appropriate age, shirts that cover bellies, the wearing of the most embarrassing of hats, and never ever had a reaction like I did when I was forced to introduce the newly formed Leggings Are Not Pants Rule.  I am now officially beyond the worst Mother ever.  Clearly, from the way I am left feeling this morning, I am an asshole.

This Mom gig is not for sissy’s.

Comments

1. Oh I once had the Worst Mom ever award and I am they survived. Good Mom. Darn it is cold. B

It is so good to hear that us Worst Moms have kiddos that turn out okay, better then okay 🙂
      (and yes, it is way toooo cold!)

2. I meant I and they survived:)

3. HA! Linds and I just had this conversation. again. Well, kinda of. We were discussing the girls who DO wear them as leggings. Oye. It is just not right.
    Stay strong Mama!

Staying strong. Thankfully the girls don’t argue with me too much, just a lot of eye rolling and foot stomping, I am so not cool anymore! LOL

4. Good for you mom. We are just on the initial skirmish line with some of those issues–but “that is what everyone is doing” still rears its ugly head here.

I wonder how long the kiddos will try and use the “that is everyone is doing” argument. It’s not like it has ever worked! 🙂

5. OMG I can picture these conversations with my girls who are now 4 & 6. I’m already dreading the tween & teen years. Good for you for sticking with your rules. Hopefully I can be just as strong.

Oh and I have to tell you those years are going to fly by! I really do try and be a cool Mama, but those butts have to stay covered 🙂

6. Not pants! But still very cute when worn as leggings, hopefully you and your girls can find there is a middle ground! I’m a mom to 3 boys (so I don’t foresee any pant vs. legging argument), BUT I do consider being the ‘worst mom ever’ a badge of honor, wear it proudly! 🙂

I have decided to wear my badge of worst mom ever with honour too. Guess it means I’m doing my job! LOL
      Thankfully we did find a middle ground. Long sweaters in this wicked cold we are having are a hit!

7. I know I was surprised in December when I saw my 18 yr old great niece in some leather like leggings and not with a long top on!!! They are just too revealing in my opinion and need a long top. I don’t think you are wrong about that.

I adore leggings with long sweaters or dresses. Even jackets and a long blouse, but really think those butts need to be covered even when you are 18 🙂

8. You know you aren’t the worst mom, they are still alive for starters! But it’s is a hard rap isn’t it. Bt you know, you’re not supposed to be their best friend, you are supposed to be the mom which in their eyes makes you bad mom but in parenting terms makes you good mom! As it was in the beginning (when stretch fabric was invented), and as it ever shall be with teenage girls, world without end Amen

Breathe deeeeeeeeep 🙂 and calm!

9. OrangeHeroMama says:

*applause* You are an AWESOME mom! ((Hugs))

10. If they think you are the worst mom ever then you are doing your job right! And stick to your guns – leggings are NOT pants.

Thank you Gigi This parenting gig is hard and can you leave you feeling like the meanest person ever, but I think you are right, sometimes that means you are on the right track!

11. Hilarious post Stephanie; more Moms should say the same IMO. So glad that I have boys when I read this 🙂

12. Mom of teens agree with you!
    I’ve seen leggings that are a bit sheer…not good.
    Also, let’s face it. Everyone is not created equally. The tight butted, muscular thighed girls can get away with “thick” leggings as pants, though my girls still wouldn’t wear them as pants if that was how they were built.
    Curves, thinness, and heaviness… no!

Oh my! The sheer leggings are perhaps the most inappropriate of all! (well those and the flesh coloured one’s Shiver)

good for you!! stay strong when my girls were in there teens, I enforced the same law no leggings. I can’t stand them. I would let them wear them around the house and that was it, they were not leaving the house wearing them, leggings show way to much and I don’t need my girls picture put on Walmarts worse dressed people…lol

LOL One more argument I can add to our discussions. “Do you want to end up on Walmart’s worst dressed?” Staying strong!

14. Well, Im a real jerk then too, as I fully agree that leggings are NOT pants. 🙂

15. I despise leggings but I am fighting a losing battle with my 21 year old who continually wears them as pants.

16. Amen!

17. I agree. I love my leggings but I always wear a long shirt over them.

18. Score for having a house full off boys, and me never wanting anyone to see the shape of my legs! this wont happen here but in other news. Long Johns aren’t lights.

19. We could not agree more! Teenager or not, leggings are NOT pants!

20. I really can’t say anything to my kids because I wear leggings as pants so I set a standard in our house. Besides everyone else is wearing leggings as pants and I love the look.

21. Preach! I hate to see leggings as pants, even on the very fit. I do like leggings with long sweaters or under dresses with boots. But spare me all the super-exposed butts.

22. I only have boys, but I admit it: I wear leggings as pants. ALL the time. I do however wear them with over sized shirts and sweaters. Noone wants to see my big butt except my husband lol. No clue what I would do if I had girls though. Probably the same rules you have 🙂

23. Ha! I agree with you to an extent. Some women can pull off the tight leggings look. I probably could, but I like longer sweaters anyway!

24. But you are right! They are not pants!

I love wearing leggings as pants at home or lounging, but could never bring myself to wear them out as pants! I’d probably lay down the same restriction as you!

26. I LOVE my leggings and I have two type: the type that are so tight that I wouldn’t THINK of going out without covering my bum while wearing them and the other that are form fitting and not CRAZY tight. All I can say is I’m glad I’m a mom of two boys so I don’t have to have one of these fights one day. LOL!

27. They are growing up to be respectable in their dress and it will show in there character and they will thank you for it in time

28. The leggings that are so thin and almost see through are so bad.