There may not be any official rules to being guest in a hotel, but perhaps there should be? After a loooot of travelling over the past few months, I have a few
complaints suggestions for my fellow hotel guests;
1) Underground parking at hotels suck. I’m a Mama who drives a big ass SUV and that baby barely fits down there. (read, I once took off just a little bit of the roof rack while trying to enter into a not so fabulous underground parking lot) So when you arrive at a hotel and are behind a stressed out Mom trying to park her giant vehicle, cut her some slack and back the heck off. Don’t tail gate in an underground parking garage you idiots. It’s just rude.
2) Be polite to the peeps at the check in counter. Those are the powerful people who decide if you get the room with the nice view, or the crap room next to the elevator or vending machines with excess noise. Just saying.
3) Guess what, Hotels have some very long hallways. This does not mean you should allow your children to run pounding and screaming down them at all hours of the day. It is super annoying and ridiculously rude. No running. No screaming, Find your manners.
4) The pool is open until 11pm! Woo hoo! Does this mean you should leave your little one’s out there unattended? Screaming, yelling and playing some screwed up version of Marco Polo the entire complex can hear? I vote no. You can have fun, laugh and even be a bit crazy without being so over the top annoying that other guests feel the need to pop an Advil. (and even consider sticking their head out the sliding glass door and yelling SHUSH. Not that I did that.)
5) It’s not a tank. That’s what my Dad used to say to me when I slammed the door too hard on the car. Oh how I wanted to yell at the people down the hall last week. Perhaps I have some kind of frequent flyer hotel rage? Can we not close hotel room doors at 2am in a quieter manner? Please.
I could go and on, creating rule after rule, but what it really comes down to is this. When you are travelling, could you just pretend you are at a very goods friend house, or even your Granny’s? Have a lot of fun, but let’s use our manners.
The over tired, kind of grumpy, need some good ear plugs and a great nights sleep Mama.