We had just settled in to umm watch some re-runs on TV.
The lights were low, the electric fire place was warming up the bedroom on this cold fall night, the kids were sleeping and it was before 11pm. (Yes this is pre-requisite for lovin on a “school night”.) In the Suburbs, this is romance baby.
By the time we were half way through umm “Dexter” sparks were in the air.
No really. Sparks and smoke! Our fireplace was burning, and not in a good way. Hero Hubby yelled for me to “unplug it”. Huh? Seriously? Electrical fire. No touchy. I yelled back at him to get a fire extinguisher. He did the naked mad dash while I turned that sucker off with a bottle of prescription pain killers. Don’t judge. It was a long skinny bottle and seemed like a good idea at the time. The room was beginning to fill with obnoxious smelling black smoke. Hero Hubby dashed back upstairs and with one swift move, gallantly unplugged the offending fireplace himself. Whew, except…..
The damn thing was still burning. “Underwear up big boy. We are carrying this sucker down the stairs and outside.”
Him in his jockeys and me in my T-shirt, we carried a burning fireplace down a set of circular stairs and out the front door into the cold night.
That is when the giggling started. Good grief. We date night it in style.
After we stopped laughing, and Hubby assured me over and over and over again that the fire was out. We went back to bed.
This morning our front step looks like this.
Counting my blessings that it ended the way it did.
Hoping it will be a long long time before Hubby and I heat up the bedroom like that again.
I’ve been nominated for a Canadian Blog Award for best Family Blog and Best Humour Blog. If you are so inclined you can give me a vote or two right here. Thanks! Poll closes today!